Judge orders man to stay away from Selena Gomez
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com1 of 20
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP2 of 20
- Photo: SC2/WENN3 of 20
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks4 of 20
- Photo: Michael Simon/StarTraks5 of 20
- Photo: Jen Lowery/Splash News6 of 20
- Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images North America7 of 20
- Photo: Chris Polk/Getty Images North America8 of 20
- Photo: @justinbieber/Twitter9 of 20
- Photo: @selenagomez/Twitter10 of 20
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin11 of 20
- Photo: A.Macpherson/Todd G/Splash News12 of 20
- Photo: A.Macpherson/T.Gillis/Splash News13 of 20
- Photo: starsurf/Splash News14 of 20
- Photo: SDFL/Splash News15 of 20
- Photo: starsurf/Splash News16 of 20
- Photo: Clint Brewer/Splash News17 of 20
- Photo: Mark Sullivan/WireImage18 of 20
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/TCA 2011/WireImage19 of 20
More Celeb News
- In-Flight Wifi Provider Gogo Apologizes for Justine Sacco TweetMSNEntertainment 12/21/2013 9:56:11 AM
- 'Anchorman 2 Edges 'Hobbit' at Box Office Friday but Tolkien Tale May PreMSNEntertainment 12/21/2013 8:16:56 AM
- TheWrap Screening Series: Recreating Disney's World for 'Saving Mr. Banks&aposMSNEntertainment 12/20/2013 11:23:14 PM
- Justine Sacco Deletes 'Hope I Don't Get Aids' Tweet and Her Account AftMSNEntertainment 12/20/2013 9:26:43 PM
- What Does Phil Robertson's 'Duck Dynasty' Suspension Really Mean for SeasMSNEntertainment 12/20/2013 6:36:00 PM
- In-Flight Wifi Provider Gogo Apologizes for Justine Sacco Tweet
BURBANK, Calif. (AP) -- A civil judge on Friday granted Selena Gomez a three-year restraining order against a man accused of threatening to kill the singer-actress and of traveling from Illinois to try to meet her.
Superior Court Judge William D. Stewart granted the order, which requires Thomas Brodnicki to stay away from the "Wizards of Waverly Place" star and not attempt to contact her.
Another judge dropped a felony stalking charge against Brodnicki, 46, last year after determining prosecutors hadn't proved he had caused fear in the star. Stewart twice delayed issuing a civil order until Brodnicki had an opportunity to respond.
Gomez, 19, did not appear at Wednesday's hearing. She wrote in a declaration filed in October that she was in extreme fear after learning that Brodnicki had threatened to kill her while he was on a psychiatric hold.
Prosecutors later alleged he stalked the actress between July and October.
Stewart noted that Brodnicki filed a declaration in December essentially consenting to the protective order and that the man with a history of mental illness had received "due process." He said Gomez had reasonable cause to afraid of Brodnicki, who did not attend Friday's hearing.
The order also covers Gomez's family.
Sarah Hyland and more stars share adorable photos of their pets in the holiday spirit on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Olivia Wilde to Mario Lopez, see which stars have the hottest beach bods of 2013.Watch Video »
Mariah Carey, Cameron Diaz and more stars romp in the snow on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Amanda Bynes post-rehab on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kim Basinger, John Mayer, and Kristen Wiig all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGuilty Pleasure
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite