Judge orders man to stay away from Selena Gomez
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com1 of 20
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP2 of 20
- Photo: SC2/WENN3 of 20
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks4 of 20
- Photo: Michael Simon/StarTraks5 of 20
- Photo: Jen Lowery/Splash News6 of 20
- Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images North America7 of 20
- Photo: Chris Polk/Getty Images North America8 of 20
- Photo: @justinbieber/Twitter9 of 20
- Photo: @selenagomez/Twitter10 of 20
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin11 of 20
- Photo: A.Macpherson/Todd G/Splash News12 of 20
- Photo: A.Macpherson/T.Gillis/Splash News13 of 20
- Photo: starsurf/Splash News14 of 20
- Photo: SDFL/Splash News15 of 20
- Photo: starsurf/Splash News16 of 20
- Photo: Clint Brewer/Splash News17 of 20
- Photo: Mark Sullivan/WireImage18 of 20
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/TCA 2011/WireImage19 of 20
More Celeb News
- Thursday TV: Rectify Finale, Simpsons MarathonMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 6:36:00 AM
- 'The View' Gets New Logo and Set for New SeasonMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 6:19:00 AM
- 7 Breakout Movie Stars of Fall 2014 From a 'Gone Girl' to a 'Maze RunnerMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 12:19:00 AM
- Aaron Paul Announces 'Breaking Bad' Los Angeles Scavenger HuntMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 12:06:00 AM
- 'Big Brother': Kathy Griffin Joins Zingbot to Roast Remaining HouseguestsMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 11:16:00 PM
- Thursday TV: Rectify Finale, Simpsons Marathon
BURBANK, Calif. (AP) -- A civil judge on Friday granted Selena Gomez a three-year restraining order against a man accused of threatening to kill the singer-actress and of traveling from Illinois to try to meet her.
Superior Court Judge William D. Stewart granted the order, which requires Thomas Brodnicki to stay away from the "Wizards of Waverly Place" star and not attempt to contact her.
Another judge dropped a felony stalking charge against Brodnicki, 46, last year after determining prosecutors hadn't proved he had caused fear in the star. Stewart twice delayed issuing a civil order until Brodnicki had an opportunity to respond.
Gomez, 19, did not appear at Wednesday's hearing. She wrote in a declaration filed in October that she was in extreme fear after learning that Brodnicki had threatened to kill her while he was on a psychiatric hold.
Prosecutors later alleged he stalked the actress between July and October.
Stewart noted that Brodnicki filed a declaration in December essentially consenting to the protective order and that the man with a history of mental illness had received "due process." He said Gomez had reasonable cause to afraid of Brodnicki, who did not attend Friday's hearing.
The order also covers Gomez's family.
Get out the vote
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Carmen Electra, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite