Judge orders man to stay away from Selena Gomez
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com1 of 20
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP2 of 20
- Photo: SC2/WENN3 of 20
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks4 of 20
- Photo: Michael Simon/StarTraks5 of 20
- Photo: Jen Lowery/Splash News6 of 20
- Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images North America7 of 20
- Photo: Chris Polk/Getty Images North America8 of 20
- Photo: @justinbieber/Twitter9 of 20
- Photo: @selenagomez/Twitter10 of 20
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin11 of 20
- Photo: A.Macpherson/Todd G/Splash News12 of 20
- Photo: A.Macpherson/T.Gillis/Splash News13 of 20
- Photo: starsurf/Splash News14 of 20
- Photo: SDFL/Splash News15 of 20
- Photo: starsurf/Splash News16 of 20
- Photo: Clint Brewer/Splash News17 of 20
- Photo: Mark Sullivan/WireImage18 of 20
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/TCA 2011/WireImage19 of 20
More Celeb News
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&aposMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:24:00 PM
- 8 Things That Will and 2 Things That (Probably) Won't Happen on Big Bang Theory Season 8MSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:19:00 PM
- Leonardo DiCaprio Adds Star Power to People's Climate March in New YorkMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Crosses $250 Million at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:05:00 PM
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late ArrMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&apos
BURBANK, Calif. (AP) -- A civil judge on Friday granted Selena Gomez a three-year restraining order against a man accused of threatening to kill the singer-actress and of traveling from Illinois to try to meet her.
Superior Court Judge William D. Stewart granted the order, which requires Thomas Brodnicki to stay away from the "Wizards of Waverly Place" star and not attempt to contact her.
Another judge dropped a felony stalking charge against Brodnicki, 46, last year after determining prosecutors hadn't proved he had caused fear in the star. Stewart twice delayed issuing a civil order until Brodnicki had an opportunity to respond.
Gomez, 19, did not appear at Wednesday's hearing. She wrote in a declaration filed in October that she was in extreme fear after learning that Brodnicki had threatened to kill her while he was on a psychiatric hold.
Prosecutors later alleged he stalked the actress between July and October.
Stewart noted that Brodnicki filed a declaration in December essentially consenting to the protective order and that the man with a history of mental illness had received "due process." He said Gomez had reasonable cause to afraid of Brodnicki, who did not attend Friday's hearing.
The order also covers Gomez's family.
Get out the vote
Take a peek at Jessica Simpson’s kissy Instagram feed on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBeautiful Family
From Crowd Ignite