Judge orders man to stay away from Selena Gomez
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com1 of 20
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP2 of 20
- Photo: SC2/WENN3 of 20
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks4 of 20
- Photo: Michael Simon/StarTraks5 of 20
- Photo: Jen Lowery/Splash News6 of 20
- Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images North America7 of 20
- Photo: Chris Polk/Getty Images North America8 of 20
- Photo: @justinbieber/Twitter9 of 20
- Photo: @selenagomez/Twitter10 of 20
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin11 of 20
- Photo: A.Macpherson/Todd G/Splash News12 of 20
- Photo: A.Macpherson/T.Gillis/Splash News13 of 20
- Photo: starsurf/Splash News14 of 20
- Photo: SDFL/Splash News15 of 20
- Photo: starsurf/Splash News16 of 20
- Photo: Clint Brewer/Splash News17 of 20
- Photo: Mark Sullivan/WireImage18 of 20
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/TCA 2011/WireImage19 of 20
More Celeb News
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years LateMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- 8 Crazy Things to Expect on Sleepy Hollow Season 2MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Emmy Winner and Singer Polly Bergen Dies at 84MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Kim Kardashian Among the Latest Targeted in Nude Photo LeakMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- U2 guitarist gets boost in bid for Malibu mansionsMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 2:26:14 PM
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years Late
BURBANK, Calif. (AP) -- A civil judge on Friday granted Selena Gomez a three-year restraining order against a man accused of threatening to kill the singer-actress and of traveling from Illinois to try to meet her.
Superior Court Judge William D. Stewart granted the order, which requires Thomas Brodnicki to stay away from the "Wizards of Waverly Place" star and not attempt to contact her.
Another judge dropped a felony stalking charge against Brodnicki, 46, last year after determining prosecutors hadn't proved he had caused fear in the star. Stewart twice delayed issuing a civil order until Brodnicki had an opportunity to respond.
Gomez, 19, did not appear at Wednesday's hearing. She wrote in a declaration filed in October that she was in extreme fear after learning that Brodnicki had threatened to kill her while he was on a psychiatric hold.
Prosecutors later alleged he stalked the actress between July and October.
Stewart noted that Brodnicki filed a declaration in December essentially consenting to the protective order and that the man with a history of mental illness had received "due process." He said Gomez had reasonable cause to afraid of Brodnicki, who did not attend Friday's hearing.
The order also covers Gomez's family.
Get out the vote
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite