Jury Begins Deliberating in Hudson Family Killings
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage1 of 9
- Photo: PN2/WENN2 of 9
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage3 of 9
- Photo: Matt Sayles/AP4 of 9
- Photo: Miguel Aguilar/PacificCoastNews.com5 of 9
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage6 of 9
- Photo: AP7 of 9
- Photo: FS2/WENN8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 'Before Midnight' Review: Joy and Pain, Long After Happily Ever AfterMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 4:32:15 PM
- 'Before Midnight's' Director, Stars Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke Celebrate &aMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 4:13:43 PM
- Cannes: IFC Buys North American Rights to 'The Selfish Giant'MSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 4:09:45 PM
- Paddy Considine and Fares Fares Join Tom Hardy Thriller 'Child 44' (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 3:55:22 PM
- Steven Soderbergh Is Looking to Direct Clive Owen in Cinemax Series MSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 3:53:15 PM
- 'Before Midnight' Review: Joy and Pain, Long After Happily Ever After
Jurors in the case of the man accused of killing relatives of Jennifer Hudson began deliberations late Wednesday afternoon after prosecutors trying to counter defense claims of a weak case insisted that "a tsunami of evidence" linked him to the crime.
The defense told jurors during closing arguments that prosecutors had failed to prove that Hudson's former brother-in-law, William Balfour, was the killer. Hudson has attended every day of testimony in the murder trial and was there for closing arguments as well.
The actress and singer bent forward, her head on her knee, and sobbed as prosecutor Jennifer Bagby described what she called "the execution" of the Oscar winner's mother, brother and 7-year-old nephew in October 2008.
Bagby showed jurors photos of the victims' bloody bodies juxtaposed with pictures of them alive.
"This defendant is the one that made (them) into these images," Bagby said, glancing back at the photos.
Closing arguments lasted for about four hours, and the jury didn't begin deliberations until shortly before 5 p.m.
Prosecutors contend Balfour killed Hudson's relatives in an act of vengeance against Hudson's sister, Julia Hudson, his estranged wife at the time. Julia Hudson fiddled nervously with a piece of string as Bagby described how her ex-husband allegedly shot her son, Julian King, whom she called Juice Box, through the head.
Balfour "left that innocent child to die in his own pool of blood," covered by an old shower curtain, Bagby told jurors, who looked on intently, many of them taking notes.
Public defender Amy Thompson started her closing by pacing the room, walking up to Balfour and then toward the prosecution table, angrily pointing at the three state's attorneys.
"They know as they sit there that they have failed to prove the case," Thompson said almost at a shout.
"I am offended," she went on, "that they would ask you to throw your logic away."
RELATED: 2011 American Music Awards
Lead prosecutor James McKay told jurors later that the circumstantial facts against Balfour amounted to "a tsunami of evidence ... that is drowning him in guilt."
During her closing, Bagby laid the alleged murder weapon on the podium, the silver and black .45-caliber handgun clanging as it hit the wood. Bagby said gunshot residue from that gun was found on the steering wheel of Balfour's green Chrysler; bullets taken from the bodies were fired from the same gun, she said.
"Make no mistake, there is physical evidence ... linking him to the murders," she said.
She also explained that circumstantial evidence includes everything short of a direct witness.
"Contrary to what you may have heard on television ... circumstantial evidence isn't lesser evidence," she said.
The last word to jurors was left to McKay, whose voice soared as he walked up to the defense table and looked straight at Balfour, a onetime Gangster Disciple who spent nearly seven years in prison for attempted murder.
"Calling the defendant a dog is an insult to dogs!" McKay said.
McKay also lashed out at Thompson, who had finished her closing minutes earlier.
"I don't know what the acoustics are like in this courtroom," McKay said after pointing at Thompson. "But what in the world was she listening to here (during two weeks of testimony)?" he shouted.
Balfour pleaded not guilty to three counts of first-degree murder. If convicted on all counts, he faces a mandatory life prison term.
Prosecutors presented weeks of testimony, starting with actress and singer Jennifer Hudson. She told jurors about the last time she saw her three family members alive and spoke endearingly about her nephew.
The defense called just two witnesses -- two detectives who had testified earlier -- in a bid to suggest investigators botched the triple-homicide investigation.
Prosecution witnesses testified that Balfour threatened to kill the Hudson family dozens of times if Julia Hudson refused to reconcile with him.
Prosecutors say Balfour shot Hudson's mother, Darnell Donerson, 57, in the living room of the Hudson family home on Chicago's South Side on Oct. 24, 2008, then shot Hudson's 29-year-old brother, Jason Hudson, in the head as he lay in bed.
Balfour then allegedly abducted Julian and shot him as he lay behind a front seat of an SUV. His body was found in the abandoned vehicle miles away after a three-day search.
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite