- Photo: PN2/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 9
- Photo: Miguel Aguilar/PacificCoastNews.com3 of 9
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage4 of 9
- Photo: Evan Agostini/AP5 of 9
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 9
- Photo: PN2/WENN7 of 9
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/StarTraks8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Cannes: Sundance Selects Nabs Rights to Francois Ozon's 'Young & BeautifulMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 4:01:48 PM
- Brad Pitt Names Jeremy Kleiner Co-President of Plan B EntertainmentMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 3:15:58 PM
- E!'s 'The Wanted Life' Preview: Scooter Braun Stages an Intervention (VidMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 2:55:28 PM
- David Janollari Signs 3-Year Development Deal With NBCMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 2:42:27 PM
- Jennifer Aniston Stages Mini 'Friends' Reunion for 'Ellen'MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:59:12 PM
- Cannes: Sundance Selects Nabs Rights to Francois Ozon's 'Young & Beautiful
Michael Tarm, The Associated Press
CHICAGO (AP) — A Chicago jury on Friday convicted Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson's former brother-in-law of murdering her mother, brother and 7-year-old nephew in what prosecutors described as an act of vengeance by a jilted husband.
Hudson, who expressed her undisguised disdain for William Balfour when she took the witness stand and who endured weeks of excruciating testimony about the October 2008 killings, was visibly overcome with emotion as the verdict was read. Hudson's eyes filled with tears and she shook her head and bit her lip.
Balfour, 31, faces a mandatory life prison sentence.
Jurors deliberated for three days before reaching their verdict against Balfour, a former gang member who was the estranged husband of Hudson's sister, Julia Hudson, at the time of the triple murders.
With no surviving witnesses to the Oct. 24, 2008, slayings or fingerprints, prosecutors built a circumstantial case against Balfour by calling 83 witnesses over 11 days of testimony. Witnesses said he threatened to kill the entire family if Julia Hudson spurned him.
Balfour's attorneys proposed an alternate theory: that someone else in the crime-ridden neighborhood on Chicago's South Side targeted the family because of alleged crack-cocaine dealing by Jennifer Hudson's brother, Jason Hudson. During the 30 minutes in which they called just two witnesses, however, they presented no evidence to support that theory.
Jennifer Hudson, who was in Florida at the time of the killings, attended every day of the two weeks of testimony, sobbing when photos of her relatives' bloodied bodies were displayed to jurors during closing arguments. Known for wearing tony designer dresses on Hollywood's red carpets, Hudson wore toned-down clothes at the trial, often all black.
Hudson, 30, rose to prominence as a 2004 "American Idol" finalist. But she became a bona fide star for her performance in the film adaptation of the musical "Dreamgirls," for which she won the 2007 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.
Hudson was the first witness prosecutors called to testify, and during her more than 30 minutes on the stand she talked about her murdered family members and spoke endearingly about her nephew, Julian King, whom she called Tugga Bear. She said she knew Balfour since the eighth grade but always deeply disliked him.
Balfour had lived in the Hudsons' three-story Englewood home after marrying Julia Hudson in 2006. He moved out in early 2008 after falling out with his wife, but witnesses told jurors he often stalked the home.
The killings occurred the morning after Julia Hudson's birthday, and prosecutors said he became enraged when he stopped by the home and saw a gift of balloons in the house from her new boyfriend.
After his estranged wife left for her job as a bus driver on the morning of Oct. 24, 2008, prosecutors said, Balfour went back inside the home with a .45-caliber handgun and shot Hudson's mother, Darnell Donerson, 57, in the back; he allegedly then shot Jason Hudson, 29, twice in the head as he lay in bed.
Prosecutors said Balfour then drove off in Jason Hudson's SUV with Julian — Julia's son, whom she called Juice Box — and shot the boy several times in the head as he lay behind a front seat. His body was found in the abandoned vehicle miles away after a three-day search.
The defense tried to counter the portrayal of Balfour as an embittered husband by noting Julia Hudson continued to have sex with him until just days before the killings.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
- Prince Harry's scandal-free trip to the US
- Miley and Liam: Engagement Intervention?
- The Kardashians Luxurious Greek Getaway
- Will Sharon and Ozzy’s marriage survive his addiction issues?
- Why does Bradley Cooper live with his mom?
- Jessica Alba and Nicole Richie's Hot Caribbean Vacation
- Heidi Klum's Dramatic Beach Rescue
- Is Hayden Panettiere Secretly Engaged?
- Is Lindsay Lohan Ready to Clean Up Her Life?
- Are Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Over?
- Is Duchess Kate Expecting a Daughter?
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite