Justin Bieber on Anne Frank: 'Hopefully She Would Have Been a Belieber'
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage1 of 21
- Photo: David Maree/StarTraks2 of 21
- Photo: Twitter3 of 21
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP4 of 21
- Photo: FameFlynetUK/FAMEFLYNET PICTURES/Fame Flynet5 of 21
- Photo: TDAA/ZDS/WENN6 of 21
- Photo: Mark Von Holden/WireImage7 of 21
- Photo: Robb Cohen/Invision/AP8 of 21
- Photo: Fame Flynet9 of 21
- Photo: Jeff Daly/Invision/AP10 of 21
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP11 of 21
- Photo: Rex USA12 of 21
- Photo: Instagram/.13 of 21
- Photo: Twitter14 of 21
- Photo: Fame Flynet15 of 21
- Photo: Splash News16 of 21
- Photo: ZWAA/WENN17 of 21
- Photo: CHAA/ZDS/WENN18 of 21
- Photo: WeirPhotos / Splash News/Splash News19 of 21
- Photo: Palace Lee/Pacific Coast News20 of 21
More Celeb News
- Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper Are Ruining the Country in 'American Hustle' Clip (MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 4:39:51 PM
- How Oscar Isaac's Career Fallback Landed Him 'Inside Llewyn Davis'MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 4:30:24 PM
- Nelson Mandela Death: The Anti-Apartheid Freedom Fighter's Life in Pictures (Photos)MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 4:25:02 PM
- The Antichrist Is Coming in New 'Devil's Due' Trailer (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 4:14:38 PM
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Ian Harding to Play Drug Addict in 'Dynamite: MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 3:26:12 PM
- Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper Are Ruining the Country in 'American Hustle' Clip (
Justin Bieber stopped by the Anne Frank House museum in Amsterdam on Friday, April 12, and made sure to leave his mark at the historic landmark.
The "Beauty and a Beat" singer, 19, explored the house -- the actual building in which Frank and her family famously hid during World War II to avoid persecution by the Nazis -- for about an hour before deciding to pen his thoughts about the meaningful tour.
"Truly inspiring to be able to come here," he wrote in a guest book at the museum. "Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber."
BBC correspondent Anna Holligan confirmed with the Anne Frank House press office that Bieber had indeed toured the museum on Friday, and that he wrote the reported comments in the "special guestbook."
"He's 19, it's a strange life he's living, it wasn't very sensible but he didn't mean bad," a representative for the house said, according to Holligan. "He was very interested in Anne Frank."
Shortly after news broke of Bieber's cultural excursion, the teen pop singer was hit with angry messages on social media about his comments.
"She would've been a WHAT?" one user wrote on Facebook. "That little idiot is way too full of himself. She's an important historical figure so show some respect."
Another user added that though it was great that Bieber was educating himself in the European city, "the last sentence was VERY self serving. He missed the lessons of Anne totally."
Fans of the "Baby" singer were equally quick to jump to Bieber's defense, however, telling critics to cool their jets and "hate."
"I find it ironic that all of you are spewing hate," one fan wrote on Facebook. "Isn't this why Anne Frank and countless others had to go into hiding? You are reacting on your own personal feelings and how does that make you any better than other hate mongers? … If his comments and/actions had been disrespectful, in any way, the Anne Frank House would not have posted them."
A source close to the singer tells Us that the comments have been blown out of proportion.
"He wasn't trying to be offensive at all," the source tells Us. "He was really moved by the experience had always wanted to visit. He found it incredibly moving."
Bieber himself has thus far remained silent on the matter, with the young singer only telling fans that he was "resting up" for the remainder of his extensive European tour in a tweet on Saturday, April 13.
RELATED ON WONDERWALL:
From slicked back hair to drop-crotch pants, check out some of the biggest fashion blunders of the year.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCheap Jewelry
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite