Justin Bieber on Anne Frank: 'Hopefully She Would Have Been a Belieber'
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage1 of 21
- Photo: David Maree/StarTraks2 of 21
- Photo: Twitter3 of 21
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP4 of 21
- Photo: FameFlynetUK/FAMEFLYNET PICTURES/Fame Flynet5 of 21
- Photo: TDAA/ZDS/WENN6 of 21
- Photo: Mark Von Holden/WireImage7 of 21
- Photo: Robb Cohen/Invision/AP8 of 21
- Photo: Fame Flynet9 of 21
- Photo: Jeff Daly/Invision/AP10 of 21
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP11 of 21
- Photo: Rex USA12 of 21
- Photo: Instagram/.13 of 21
- Photo: Twitter14 of 21
- Photo: Fame Flynet15 of 21
- Photo: Splash News16 of 21
- Photo: ZWAA/WENN17 of 21
- Photo: CHAA/ZDS/WENN18 of 21
- Photo: WeirPhotos / Splash News/Splash News19 of 21
- Photo: Palace Lee/Pacific Coast News20 of 21
More Celeb News
- 'Kelly & Cal' Review: New Mom Juliette Lewis Finds an Unlikely Suburban SoMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 9:00:00 PM
- Talent Agents Adam Kanter, Martin Spencer Exit Resolution (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 8:14:00 PM
- 'Bad Words' Review: Jason Bateman's Directorial Debut Exhilarates Until IMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 8:00:00 PM
- Newsweek Bitcoin Writer Fires Back at Tina Brown: 'I Have A Problem' With Her CommMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 6:50:00 PM
- The Best. Baseball Movie. Ever (Guest Blog)MSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 5:54:00 PM
- 'Kelly & Cal' Review: New Mom Juliette Lewis Finds an Unlikely Suburban So
Justin Bieber stopped by the Anne Frank House museum in Amsterdam on Friday, April 12, and made sure to leave his mark at the historic landmark.
The "Beauty and a Beat" singer, 19, explored the house -- the actual building in which Frank and her family famously hid during World War II to avoid persecution by the Nazis -- for about an hour before deciding to pen his thoughts about the meaningful tour.
"Truly inspiring to be able to come here," he wrote in a guest book at the museum. "Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber."
BBC correspondent Anna Holligan confirmed with the Anne Frank House press office that Bieber had indeed toured the museum on Friday, and that he wrote the reported comments in the "special guestbook."
"He's 19, it's a strange life he's living, it wasn't very sensible but he didn't mean bad," a representative for the house said, according to Holligan. "He was very interested in Anne Frank."
Shortly after news broke of Bieber's cultural excursion, the teen pop singer was hit with angry messages on social media about his comments.
"She would've been a WHAT?" one user wrote on Facebook. "That little idiot is way too full of himself. She's an important historical figure so show some respect."
Another user added that though it was great that Bieber was educating himself in the European city, "the last sentence was VERY self serving. He missed the lessons of Anne totally."
Fans of the "Baby" singer were equally quick to jump to Bieber's defense, however, telling critics to cool their jets and "hate."
"I find it ironic that all of you are spewing hate," one fan wrote on Facebook. "Isn't this why Anne Frank and countless others had to go into hiding? You are reacting on your own personal feelings and how does that make you any better than other hate mongers? … If his comments and/actions had been disrespectful, in any way, the Anne Frank House would not have posted them."
A source close to the singer tells Us that the comments have been blown out of proportion.
"He wasn't trying to be offensive at all," the source tells Us. "He was really moved by the experience had always wanted to visit. He found it incredibly moving."
Bieber himself has thus far remained silent on the matter, with the young singer only telling fans that he was "resting up" for the remainder of his extensive European tour in a tweet on Saturday, April 13.
RELATED ON WONDERWALL:
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
From Katy Perry and John Mayer to Paula Patton and Robin Thicke, get the scoop on all the breakups in Hollywood.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Julianne's hunky Canadian hockey beau on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on all the rumors surrounding Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite