Justin Bieber Views Himself as the 'Underdog'
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 26
- Photo: Mr Blue/WENN2 of 26
- Photo: Twitter/.3 of 26
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 26
- Photo: Fame Flynet5 of 26
- Photo: DMac/Fame Flynet6 of 26
- Photo: PMK/WENN7 of 26
- Photo: MTRX/GSI8 of 26
- Photo: Rolling Stone9 of 26
- Photo: FUTURE IMAGE/StarTraks10 of 26
- Photo: Selena Gomez/Twitter11 of 26
- Photo: Fame Flynet12 of 26
- Photo: COBO/GSI13 of 26
- Photo: Juan Sharma/Bruja/PacificCoastNews.com14 of 26
- Photo: COBO/GSI15 of 26
- Photo: Fame Pictures/Fame Flynet16 of 26
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage17 of 26
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage18 of 26
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/StarTraks19 of 26
- Photo: Photoshot/Retna Digital20 of 26
- Photo: Kabik/Retna Digital21 of 26
- Photo: Flynet UK/Fame Flynet22 of 26
- Photo: IPA PRESS/Bauer-Griffin23 of 26
- Photo: GRPR/GSI24 of 26
- Photo: FameFlynet Pictures/Fame Flynet25 of 26
More Celeb News
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'SupernatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:38:41 PM
- Paul Walker Death: 'Fast & Furious' Franchise Posts Tribute on YouTube (ViMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:35:39 PM
- If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:28:09 PM
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to direct 'Jungle Book' movie for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:26:12 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: Movie Moments of the Year '12 Years a Slave,' &apoMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:19:43 PM
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'Supernat
Justin Bieber rose to superstardom in just a few years after being discovered on YouTube, but the singer says he still views himself -- and prefers to remain -- "the underdog."
"It gives me and my fans something to do and to strive for next," Bieber tells NBC News Special Correspondent Ryan Seacrest.
"I feel like, in some ways, I'm -- I am the underdog, Bieber added. "Because it's like there's -- there's people that don't believe like that, you know, I can make the transition from being a teen pop star to -- an adult. So I think that -- yeah, definitely."
During the interview -- which can seen on the "Today" and NBC's "Rock Center" with Brian Williams on Sept. 13 -- Bieber also reveals that his next major career goal is to win a Grammy Award.
He also reveals in the interview that he's not quite comfortable with his status as a heartthrob.
"I feel like I just don't want to be another teen heartthrob, 'cause that's just -- I just think that that just annoys me," Bieber told Seacrest. "To think that that's what people will -- will think of me -- I just want to prove people wrong."
Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, also sat down for the interview. She revealed that her son wasn't the easiest child to parent. "Every year, he got kicked out of class," she said.
She also admitted that his name almost wasn't Justin. "I called him Jesse the whole pregnancy. And then, once he was born, I was like, 'No, he doesn't look like a Jesse. Justin.'"
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how Kim Kardashian, Fergie, Duchess Kate and more celebs look now that they've lost their pregnancy weight.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCause of Death
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite