Kanye West Calls Himself 'the No. 1 Rock Star on the Planet' in BBC Interview
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage1 of 29
- Photo: Splash News2 of 29
- Photo: @krisjenner/Instagram3 of 29
- Photo: @krisjenner/Twitter4 of 29
- Photo: Fame Flynet5 of 29
- Photo: Vasquez/Fame Flynet6 of 29
- Photo: Twitter/WENN7 of 29
- Photo: Invision/AP8 of 29
- Photo: VM/FAMEFLYNET PICTURES/Fame Flynet9 of 29
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet10 of 29
- Photo: APL/WENN11 of 29
- Photo: AR4/WENN12 of 29
- Photo: CHP/FAMEFLYNET PICTURES/Fame Flynet13 of 29
- Photo: Vedo Jo Jenkins/Retna Ltd.14 of 29
- Photo: VPE/WENN15 of 29
- Photo: Patrick Catler/Retna Ltd.16 of 29
- Photo: MIKE BLAKE/Reuters17 of 29
- Photo: Invision/AP18 of 29
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP19 of 29
- Photo: MARIO ANZUONI/Reuters20 of 29
- Photo: J.P. MOCZULSKI/Reuters21 of 29
- Photo: JM5/WENN22 of 29
- Photo: Charles Sykes / Rex USA/Wonderwall23 of 29
- Photo: ZWAB/SCCB/WENN24 of 29
- Photo: DH1/WENN25 of 29
- Photo: Rex USA26 of 29
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Rex USA27 of 29
- Photo: Getty Images North America28 of 29
More Celeb News
- 'Lilyhammer' Star Steven Van Zandt on His Place in TV History, Mandela and (PossibMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 3:18:15 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: 'Porcelain Horse' Writer-Director on the 'ExpecMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:39 PM
- Award-Winning Producers to Finance Documentary About Forgotten Film Legend (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:58:13 PM
- Obama Nominates Sony's Tom Rothman to National Council on the ArtsMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 2:47:27 PM
- 'American Hustle' and 'Saving Mr. Banks' Hit Box Office in Heat MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 1:44:28 PM
- 'Lilyhammer' Star Steven Van Zandt on His Place in TV History, Mandela and (Possib
Kanye West is a lot of things, but insecure is not one of them. Sitting down with BBC Radio 1 personality Zane Lowe for an hour-long interview airing Monday, Sept. 23, the rapper, 36, called himself "the No. 1 rock star on the planet" and said he's here to push the boundaries of everything we think we know about art, music, fashion and culture.
In fact, the hip-hop star and new dad (to daughter North, 3 months, with Kim Kardashian) considers himself to be something of a revolutionary. Though he conceded that "there would be no Kanye West if it wasn't for Michael Jackson," he also said he'd reached a point that even the King of Pop hadn't seen in his lifetime.
"I've got to a point that Michael Jackson did not break down. I have reached the glass ceiling, as a creative person, as a celebrity ... and I've been at it for 10 years," he told Lowe. "I look around and I say, 'Wait a minute. There's no one around here that looks like me. And if they are, they're quiet as [expletive].' So that means, wait a second -- now we're seriously like, in a civil rights movement."
West went on to say that he's had a hard time getting people to see his potential. "I shouldn't be limited to only one place of creativity," he lamented. "You guys don't understand -- I did the Air Yeezys and they eBayed for $90,000 ... but I didn't get a call from Nike the next day."
In that way, he envies the empire his pal Jay Z has built. "Jay Z is more realized than me. More of his dreams and aspirations have come true," West said. "You don't realize -- I am so frustrated. Like, I've got so much I want to give ... And I've got a million people telling me why I can't do it."
The aspiring fashion designer thinks he can do it -- and he's determined to prove it. "I'm not trying to regurgitate myself," he said. "I showed people that I understand how to make perfect. You know, '[My Beautiful Dark Twisted] Fantasy' could be considered to be perfect. I know how to make perfect, but that's not what I'm here to do. I'm here to crack the pavement and make new grounds sonically ... and culturally."
He added: "We culture. Rap is the new rock 'n' roll. We the rock stars ... We the new rock stars and I'm the biggest of all of them. I'm the No. 1 rock star on the planet."
The "Black Skinhead" rapper also talked a little about Kardashian and their daughter. Asked whether he gets any time for himself, West said, "Yeah, it's like family time. That's what Kim gave me. She gave me everything, she gave me family, she gave me a support system. She was in a powerful enough situation where she could love me without asking me for money, which is really hard for me to find."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
"Shah's of Sunset" star Asa Soltan talks about this season's drama, possible wedding bells with her boyfriend and more.Watch Video »
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian hits up the happiest place on Earth on today’s Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Olivia Wilde to Mario Lopez, see which stars have the hottest beach bods of 2013.Watch Video »
Victoria’s Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel talks to WW about wearing the $10 million bra, eating steak, Taylor Swift and if she plans to marry her boyfriend.Watch Video »
Check out the many times Taylor Swift has pulled out her surprise face at award shows.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTwitPics of 2013
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite