Kanye West's granddad was dying at time of paparazzo clash
- Photo: FANA/Splash News1 of 10
- Photo: Fame Flynet2 of 10
- Photo: Hayk/Splash News3 of 10
- Photo: Nicolas Briquet/StarTraks4 of 10
- Photo: SPH/WENN5 of 10
- Photo: Premiere/Fame Flynet6 of 10
- Photo: GIA/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet8 of 10
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/Rex USA9 of 10
More Celeb News
- R. Kelly Performs Song He Wrote for Nelson Mandela on 'Arsenio' (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 5:09:35 PM
- 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' Review: Peter Jackson's Second VersMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 5:03:45 PM
- Fox Sports 1 Scores Best Ratings Week Since August LaunchMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 4:44:04 PM
- New York Post Settles Racial and Sexual Discrimination LawsuitMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 4:30:51 PM
- 'American Hustle' Cast To Be Honored by Palm Springs FestMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 4:20:58 PM
- R. Kelly Performs Song He Wrote for Nelson Mandela on 'Arsenio' (Video)
Rapper Kanye West had just learned his grandfather was dying when he lost his temper and clashed with a paparazzo outside Los Angeles International Airport in July.
West is facing battery and attempted grand theft charges after he allegedly tried to grab snapper Daniel Ramos' camera and wrestle him to the ground during an altercation this summer.
In court papers, West claimed he acted in self-defense after fearing his safety was at risk, and now he has opened up about what prompted him to spin out of control, insisting Ramos purposefully tried to get a reaction out of him -- and he succeeded because he was so upset.
RELATED: Dumbest celebrity denials
Speaking to a X17 videographer at a gas station in Calabasas, California on Friday, he explained, "The guy (Ramos) set me up at the airport the other day. You know he was [expletive] laughing and [expletive]... That's the day that I found out my grandfather was not gonna make it. He passed two weeks later. But when I'm coming out the airport, because it's Kanye or whatever, (paparazzi think), 'We're gonna [expletive] with him, we're gonna antagonize him.'
"I tried to stop his camera and stuff, he fell down, faked it, then people are talking about, 'Oh, yo, why'd you hit that guy?' I obviously didn't hit the guy, but I'm going through [expletive] (in my personal life)..."
West also admitted he wanted to stand up to the rude snappers to protect his baby girl with girlfriend Kim Kardashian after hearing how one photographer had called Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' daughter Suri a "dog, a little brat kid" during a summer outing in New York.
He added, "My family is growing up. If you had a daughter, and you guys say crazy [expletive] to me all the time, and you say it to my family... I couldn't imagine my daughter being four years old and you guys screaming at her. I think somebody screamed at Tom Cruise's daughter or something like that...
"We're in this together; you guys help me influence, you help with the family, you help Kim's power and everything, so I'm not trying to [expletive] be at you guys in any type of negative way and I don't want you guys to be negative at me and I would prefer if we just had a decent relationship, you know?"
The rapper faces up to a year behind bars if convicted of the battery and theft charges.
Carrie Underwood tweets about her "Sound of Music" experience on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Girls Night Out
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite