Chaka Khan: I tried to help Amy Winehouse
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 15
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.2 of 15
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage3 of 15
- Photo: Kris Connor/GettyImages.com4 of 15
- Photo: Mischa Richter/Island Records/Promotional5 of 15
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin6 of 15
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: ZWAA/WENN8 of 15
- Photo: Islandpaps/Splash News9 of 15
- Photo: Vince Maher/WENN10 of 15
- Photo: WeirPhotos/Splash News11 of 15
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com12 of 15
- Photo: TCAA/ZDS/WENN13 of 15
- Photo: WeirPhotos/Splash News14 of 15
More Celeb News
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon BernthalMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:43:00 PM
- Nicole Holofcener to Write, Direct 'Land of Steady Habits' for Fox SearchlightMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:29:00 PM
- James Foley Death: Pentagon Reveals Mission to Rescue US Hostages in Syria FailedMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:03:00 PM
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Review: Eva Green Steals This Juvenile Film NoirMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Legendary Digital's Zombie Movie 'Dead Rising' Lures 'LeprechaunMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 3:49:00 PM
- HBO Miniseries 'Show Me a Hero' Casts Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina and Jon Bernthal
Singer Chaka Khan says she tried to save Amy Winehouse as she saw her slip further into the pit of addiction.
RELATED: 911: Exhausted Celebrities
Khan, who battled her own substance abuse issues in the 1980s, admits she knew Winehouse was heading for an early grave when she saw her at a music festival in the Bahamas in 2009.
She exchanged phone numbers with the British singer and urged her to reach out for help whenever she hit a low point, but her advice was in vain and Winehouse died two years later after a booze binge.
RELATED: Year in Review: In Memoriam 2011
Khan tells Britain's OK! magazine, "The last time I saw Amy was at a music festival in the Bahamas. When I first met her, we hugged like we knew each other all of our lives. I loved her, I really loved her. She sat on my lap, like a little girl. I'm saying: 'Give me your contact numbers, Amy, because we are going to stay in touch. But I knew, when I saw Amy, that she wasn't long for this world. You know when you get that feeling? I had that. She was so young and she was rebellious. Everybody was telling her to do one thing, and of course, she was going to do what the hell she wants."
Khan continues, "Yeah, we talked. I said: 'Look, we need to get real here, Amy. And I am here for you. If you need somebody to talk to, you call me.'... But she was so high I was talking to the drugs. I said OK, and that I'd try to keep calling her and get to her and catch her at the moment when she was ready. So I did try and try and try, but it never happened."
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite