Chaka Khan: I tried to help Amy Winehouse
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 15
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.2 of 15
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage3 of 15
- Photo: Kris Connor/GettyImages.com4 of 15
- Photo: Mischa Richter/Island Records/Promotional5 of 15
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin6 of 15
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: ZWAA/WENN8 of 15
- Photo: Islandpaps/Splash News9 of 15
- Photo: Vince Maher/WENN10 of 15
- Photo: WeirPhotos/Splash News11 of 15
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com12 of 15
- Photo: TCAA/ZDS/WENN13 of 15
- Photo: WeirPhotos/Splash News14 of 15
More Celeb News
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 1:40:07 PM
- Zac Efron Shops Dildos in 'Neighbors,' Proving Once Again He's Far More TMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:43:00 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Storms Overseas Box Office With $88 MillionMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:41:00 AM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 2:47 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:40:29 AM
- Marvel expands Infinite with 'Ultimate Spider-Man'MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:33:56 AM
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
Singer Chaka Khan says she tried to save Amy Winehouse as she saw her slip further into the pit of addiction.
RELATED: 911: Exhausted Celebrities
Khan, who battled her own substance abuse issues in the 1980s, admits she knew Winehouse was heading for an early grave when she saw her at a music festival in the Bahamas in 2009.
She exchanged phone numbers with the British singer and urged her to reach out for help whenever she hit a low point, but her advice was in vain and Winehouse died two years later after a booze binge.
RELATED: Year in Review: In Memoriam 2011
Khan tells Britain's OK! magazine, "The last time I saw Amy was at a music festival in the Bahamas. When I first met her, we hugged like we knew each other all of our lives. I loved her, I really loved her. She sat on my lap, like a little girl. I'm saying: 'Give me your contact numbers, Amy, because we are going to stay in touch. But I knew, when I saw Amy, that she wasn't long for this world. You know when you get that feeling? I had that. She was so young and she was rebellious. Everybody was telling her to do one thing, and of course, she was going to do what the hell she wants."
Khan continues, "Yeah, we talked. I said: 'Look, we need to get real here, Amy. And I am here for you. If you need somebody to talk to, you call me.'... But she was so high I was talking to the drugs. I said OK, and that I'd try to keep calling her and get to her and catch her at the moment when she was ready. So I did try and try and try, but it never happened."
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite