Chaka Khan: I tried to help Amy Winehouse
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 15
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.2 of 15
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage3 of 15
- Photo: Kris Connor/GettyImages.com4 of 15
- Photo: Mischa Richter/Island Records/Promotional5 of 15
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin6 of 15
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: ZWAA/WENN8 of 15
- Photo: Islandpaps/Splash News9 of 15
- Photo: Vince Maher/WENN10 of 15
- Photo: WeirPhotos/Splash News11 of 15
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com12 of 15
- Photo: TCAA/ZDS/WENN13 of 15
- Photo: WeirPhotos/Splash News14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Review: 'Veronica' a solid cinematic turnMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 8:22:59 AM
- Belgian jazz musician Thielemans retires at 91MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 8:13:21 AM
- Dogs 'muttbomb' celebrities to boost adoptionsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 7:55:32 AM
- Book of Oprah Winfrey columns to be published in fallMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 7:06:17 AM
- Hogan's Heroes Star Cynthia Lynn Dies at 76MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 6:39:00 AM
- Review: 'Veronica' a solid cinematic turn
Singer Chaka Khan says she tried to save Amy Winehouse as she saw her slip further into the pit of addiction.
RELATED: 911: Exhausted Celebrities
Khan, who battled her own substance abuse issues in the 1980s, admits she knew Winehouse was heading for an early grave when she saw her at a music festival in the Bahamas in 2009.
She exchanged phone numbers with the British singer and urged her to reach out for help whenever she hit a low point, but her advice was in vain and Winehouse died two years later after a booze binge.
RELATED: Year in Review: In Memoriam 2011
Khan tells Britain's OK! magazine, "The last time I saw Amy was at a music festival in the Bahamas. When I first met her, we hugged like we knew each other all of our lives. I loved her, I really loved her. She sat on my lap, like a little girl. I'm saying: 'Give me your contact numbers, Amy, because we are going to stay in touch. But I knew, when I saw Amy, that she wasn't long for this world. You know when you get that feeling? I had that. She was so young and she was rebellious. Everybody was telling her to do one thing, and of course, she was going to do what the hell she wants."
Khan continues, "Yeah, we talked. I said: 'Look, we need to get real here, Amy. And I am here for you. If you need somebody to talk to, you call me.'... But she was so high I was talking to the drugs. I said OK, and that I'd try to keep calling her and get to her and catch her at the moment when she was ready. So I did try and try and try, but it never happened."
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
From Channing Tatum to Jennifer Lawrence, see which celebs got their start modeling.Watch Video »
From the Atkins Diet to aerial fitness classes, see what stars like Kim Kardashian, Jessica Alba and Beyonce do to keep in shape.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite