Chaka Khan: I tried to help Amy Winehouse
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 15
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.2 of 15
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage3 of 15
- Photo: Kris Connor/GettyImages.com4 of 15
- Photo: Mischa Richter/Island Records/Promotional5 of 15
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin6 of 15
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: ZWAA/WENN8 of 15
- Photo: Islandpaps/Splash News9 of 15
- Photo: Vince Maher/WENN10 of 15
- Photo: WeirPhotos/Splash News11 of 15
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com12 of 15
- Photo: TCAA/ZDS/WENN13 of 15
- Photo: WeirPhotos/Splash News14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Chris Liddell Joins WME and IMG as Chief Financial OfficerMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 10:06:00 AM
- The Big Bang Theory Delays Production Amid Contract NegotiationsMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 10:03:00 AM
- Jamie Foxx in Talks to Play Mike Tyson in Biopic, Boxer SaysMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 9:59:00 AM
- 7 Questions With 'Return to Zero' Star Minnie Driver: Emmy Nominee QuickieMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 9:32:00 AM
- 'Big Bang Theory' halts production amid contract negotiationsMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 9:27:00 AM
- Chris Liddell Joins WME and IMG as Chief Financial Officer
Singer Chaka Khan says she tried to save Amy Winehouse as she saw her slip further into the pit of addiction.
RELATED: 911: Exhausted Celebrities
Khan, who battled her own substance abuse issues in the 1980s, admits she knew Winehouse was heading for an early grave when she saw her at a music festival in the Bahamas in 2009.
She exchanged phone numbers with the British singer and urged her to reach out for help whenever she hit a low point, but her advice was in vain and Winehouse died two years later after a booze binge.
RELATED: Year in Review: In Memoriam 2011
Khan tells Britain's OK! magazine, "The last time I saw Amy was at a music festival in the Bahamas. When I first met her, we hugged like we knew each other all of our lives. I loved her, I really loved her. She sat on my lap, like a little girl. I'm saying: 'Give me your contact numbers, Amy, because we are going to stay in touch. But I knew, when I saw Amy, that she wasn't long for this world. You know when you get that feeling? I had that. She was so young and she was rebellious. Everybody was telling her to do one thing, and of course, she was going to do what the hell she wants."
Khan continues, "Yeah, we talked. I said: 'Look, we need to get real here, Amy. And I am here for you. If you need somebody to talk to, you call me.'... But she was so high I was talking to the drugs. I said OK, and that I'd try to keep calling her and get to her and catch her at the moment when she was ready. So I did try and try and try, but it never happened."
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Gisele Bundchen to Channing Tatum, see which celebs introduced their babies on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHits and Misses
From Crowd Ignite