Kylie Minogue opens up about cancer battle
- Photo: Stewart Cook/Rex USA1 of 13
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP2 of 13
- Photo: John Marshall/Invision/AP3 of 13
- Photo: Henry Lamb/Photowire/Rex USA4 of 13
- Photo: Sven Hoogerhuis/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.5 of 13
- Photo: Adam Houghton/Capital Pictures/Retna Digital6 of 13
- Photo: Kika Press/PacificCoastNews.com7 of 13
- Photo: KPB/WENN8 of 13
- Photo: Jean Catuffe/Pacific Coast News9 of 13
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News10 of 13
- Photo: TOE/Wonderwall11 of 13
- Photo: RM7/ZJE/WENN12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Belgian jazz musician Thielemans retires at 91MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 8:13:21 AM
- Dogs 'muttbomb' celebrities to boost adoptionsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 7:55:32 AM
- Book of Oprah Winfrey columns to be published in fallMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 7:06:17 AM
- Hogan's Heroes Star Cynthia Lynn Dies at 76MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 6:39:00 AM
- Review: 'Need for Speed' a thrilling stunt festMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 6:27:14 AM
- Belgian jazz musician Thielemans retires at 91
Kylie Minogue spoke about her life-changing battle with breast cancer at Thursday night's EIF Women's Cancer Research Fund's 16th Annual "An Unforgettable Evening," presented by Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills, Calif., where the 44-year-old star received the 2013 Courage Award.
Minogue was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005 and underwent both surgery and chemotherapy. But the widespread coverage of her battle with cancer did result in what many have called "The Kylie Effect," an unprecedented increase in bookings for breast screening due to the awareness the pop star caused.
"When there is a diagnosis, it's fair to say that it rocks your world," Minogue admitted to the star-studded crowd, which included Chelsea Handler, Julianne Hough, Lisa Kudrow and Kobe Bryant. "So much so that I don't like to take myself back to thinking about that time. ... And I was reminded about how much courage was around me at the time when I needed it. ... Courage from my parents, my brother, sister, boyfriend [she was in a relationship with actor Olivier Martinez at the time], friends, fans, and any courage that I displayed was aided because of their strength and belief and support."
Prior to her moving speech, Minogue admitted that she had hesitations about attending the event in the first place.
"To be perfectly honest, when they first asked me about it, I wasn't really sure if I could do it because one doesn't like to relive a lot of those memories," she said. "But the work that they do is fantastic, and any help that we can offer people who are currently suffering, or who, sadly, will be diagnosed in the future, it's really important."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
From Channing Tatum to Jennifer Lawrence, see which celebs got their start modeling.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite