L.A. D.A.: No charges in leak of Rihanna beating photoRelated: Chris Brown, Rihanna
- Photo: DR2/WENN1 of 12
- Photo: WENN/WireImage2 of 12
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com3 of 12
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage4 of 12
- Photo: badgalriri/Instagram5 of 12
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin6 of 12
- Photo: Awais/PacificCoastNews.com7 of 12
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com8 of 12
- Photo: CANE/GSI9 of 12
- Photo: Michael Jaworski/WENN10 of 12
- Photo: NO CREDIT/Bauer-Griffin11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Khaled Hosseini's new book is another tear-jerkerMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 5:44:44 AM
- Kelly Rowland, Paulina Rubio Near 'X Factor' Judging DealsMSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 8:35:36 PM
- Cannes Diary: In The Downpour, the Coens Connect but Market Can't Get Traction MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 7:10:53 PM
- Cannes: Magnolia Acquires Kurt Russell Western 'Bone Tomahawk'MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 3:03:43 PM
- Bill Hader on 'SNL': Wacky, Tacky Wedding Farewell (Video) MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:55:41 PM
- Khaled Hosseini's new book is another tear-jerker
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Two Los Angeles police officers won't face criminal charges alleging they leaked a photo of pop star Rihanna's bruised and beaten face after she was assaulted by singer Chris Brown, the Los Angeles County district attorney's office said.
An internal report by prosecutors says that after a three-year investigation, they didn't have enough evidence to show celebrity news website TMZ paid the accused officers for the photo, and that became an obstacle in charging them.
The Associated Press report obtained a copy of the March 28 report on Thursday after its contents were first reported by the Los Angeles Times.
Officers Blanca Lopez and Rebecca Reyes may still get fired. They are slated to appear before disciplinary panels in August.
Brown, who was Rihanna's boyfriend at the time, was arrested on suspicion of beating the Grammy winner on Feb. 8, 2009, leaving her bloody and bruised.
The "Umbrella" and "Only Girl (in the World)" songstress, whose full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty, canceled her Grammy performance scheduled for the next day.
Brown pleaded guilty to attacking Rihanna and was ordered to serve five years on supervised probation and to complete six months of community service including roadside cleanup, graffiti removal and manual labor.
RELATED: Rihanna Gets 16th Tattoo
Prosecutors allege the photo was leaked after a stack of photographs of Rihanna's injuries was left lying on a desk at the Wilshire police station and Reyes took a picture of the top photo with her phone.
Prosecutors say Reyes later emailed the image from her LAPD email address to her personal email address.
Reyes and Lopez were roommates at the time, and phone records showed that they made multiple phone calls to Fox Television and TMZ in February.
The photo shocked fans and prompted a national conversation about domestic violence after it spread through the media.
But despite a search of Reyes' and Lopez's bank accounts, a money trail was not discovered tying the leak to them, prosecutors said.
In order to prove the officers broke the law, prosecutors said in the report they "must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Reyes and Lopez disclosed the image of Robyn F. (Rihanna) to TMZ and obtained money in exchange for this disclosure."
The prosecutors' report noted that other LAPD personnel had access to the photos.
"As such, although both Reyes and Lopez's actions are suspicious, they are insufficient to support a criminal prosecution," the report says.
Rihanna's attorney Donald Etra said Thursday he does not know at this time whether the singer wants to pursue any further legal action.
"Apparently this was an internal decision by the district attorney. A victim's privacy should be protected," Etra said.
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 17, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 16, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 15, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 14, 2013
- 7 Most Outrageous Gwyneth Paltrow Quotes
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 10, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 9, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 8, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 7, 2013
- 7 Best Bikini Bods
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 3, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 2, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 1, 2013
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite