LA police capture escapee who stalked Madonna
- Photo: Anthony J. Causi/Splash News1 of 16
- Photo: David J. Phillip/Invision/AP2 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: Chris O'Meara/Invision/AP4 of 16
- Photo: Jerome Davis/LE/Splash News5 of 16
- Photo: Tilak Desai/Splash News6 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 16
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage9 of 16
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: Wireimage; Ferdaus Shamim/WireImage12 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: Alex J. Berliner/abimages/.14 of 16
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Maze Runner' Buries 'Tombstones' and Laughs Off 'This MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 7:49:00 AM
- E! Remembers Joan Rivers and Her Favorite 'Fashion Police' Targets: Kardashians, RMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 8:15:00 PM
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and CompMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:42:00 PM
- BuzzFeed Taps Andrew Gauthier to Lead Video DivisionMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Roger Goodell Won't Resign From NFL, But Promises Conduct Policy ChangesMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 3:29:00 PM
- 'Maze Runner' Buries 'Tombstones' and Laughs Off 'This
LOS ANGELES -- An inmate convicted of stalking Madonna and threatening to slash her throat was captured Friday, a week after police said the "highly psychotic" man walked away from a mental hospital.
Robert Dewey Hoskins was taken into custody in Long Beach, where authorities said he may have fled after his escape from the Metropolitan State Hospital in Norwalk, about eight miles away, police said.
He had been committed there last year and was returned to the facility after his arrest. Police didn't comment about how Hoskins escaped or where he had been over the past week.
A message left with a spokeswoman for the California Department of Mental Health was not immediately returned.
Hoskins, 54, served a 10-year prison sentence for stalking and threatening Madonna after being convicted by a jury in 1996.
RELATED: Star-Studded Super Bowl
The singer reluctantly testified against Hoskins, who was shot by her personal security after he jumped the fence of her 25,000-square-foot Hollywood Hills home.
Hoskins had told the singer's assistants he would either marry Madonna or slash her throat from ear to ear.
At trial, Madonna said she felt sick to her stomach because she was in the same room as Hoskins and had nightmares about him chasing her. She said she was in Miami when she received a call, hearing that her bodyguard shot him.
"It was like a bad dream," she said then. "I couldn't believe it was actually happening and he had tried to make his threats a reality."
A phone message left with Madonna's spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg wasn't immediately returned.
Police asked for the public's help Thursday in locating Hoskins. They said he is "highly psychotic" and can be extremely violent but didn't elaborate.
After his release from prison, Hoskins completed a stay at Atascadero State Hospital, where he was determined to be mentally disturbed, police said. He was convicted of vandalism in July 2011 and was eventually placed in the Norwalk facility.
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBirthday Fun
From Crowd Ignite