Lady Gaga: 'I Have Begun to Cherish My Loneliness'
- Photo: Han Myung-Gu/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: CHAA/ZDS/WENN2 of 16
- Photo: Kin Cheung/Invision/AP3 of 16
- Photo: Sacco/Fame Flynet4 of 16
- Photo: The Alan Carr Show/Promotional5 of 16
- Photo: Twitter/.6 of 16
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/StarTraks7 of 16
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Scott McLane/Retna Ltd.9 of 16
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN10 of 16
- Photo: AO1/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: OWN via People/.12 of 16
- Photo: JJ/REHAB/Bauer-Griffin13 of 16
- Photo: Scott McLane/Retna Ltd.14 of 16
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
Lady Gaga is an independent woman, for better or worse.
On Lifetime's T"he Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet" on Thursday, the 26-year-old pop star revealed she has "begun to cherish my loneliness. I have, sort of, since I was around 20 years old."
In the interview -- taped before her split with "The Vampire Diaries" actor Taylor Kinney, 30 -- Gaga (real name: Stefani Germanotta) admitted she was "very depressed when I was 19. I decided to pursue music, so I dropped out of school and I told my parents I didn't want any money from them. I got three jobs and I just hit the ground running."
"I would go back to my apartment every day and I would just sit there. It was quiet and it was lonely. It was still. It was just my piano and myself. I had a television and I would leave it on all the time just to feel like somebody was hanging out with me," she continued. "And especially during the period when I was doing cocaine. It was like the drug was my friend. I never did it with other people. It's such a terrible way to fill that void, because it just adds to that void, because it's not real."
Though she continued to use drugs for some time, the "Marry the Night" singer eventually had an epiphany: "I sort of f------ woke up one day and was like, 'You're an ass----. You're not an artist. If you were a real f------ artist, you'd be focused on your music. You wouldn't be spending your money on the white devil."
Gaga added that there is a "romanticism around drugs" with aspiring artists, "when really, you're just a f------ loser."
The Grammy winner soon kicked her drug habit "and I focused 150 percent of my energy on my happiness," she said. "'What do you want to do? What is it that you really want?'"
"The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet" airs Thursdays at 11 p.m. EST on Lifetime.
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Lady Gaga: "I Have Begun to Cherish My Loneliness"
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite