Lady GaGa interviewed by V Magazine about fashion, music, fame, and her hair bowRelated: Lady Gaga
- Photo: Mario Testino / V Magazine/.1 of 3
- Photo: Mario Testino / V Magazine/.2 of 3
More Celeb News
- Cannes: Magnolia Acquires Kurt Russell Western 'Bone Tomahawk'MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 3:03:43 PM
- Bill Hader on 'SNL': Wacky, Tacky Wedding Farewell (Video) MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:55:41 PM
- The Weinstein Company Checks Into 'Suite Francaise' With Michelle WilliamsMSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:53:24 PM
- Wrekin Hill Acquires U.S. Rights to John Malkovich Movie 'Siberian Education'MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:34:32 PM
- 'Senna' Director Asif Kapadia to Direct Love Story 'Ali and Nino&aposMSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:11:10 PM
- Cannes: Magnolia Acquires Kurt Russell Western 'Bone Tomahawk'
By Melissa Hunter
Lady GaGa sat down with V Magazine to talk about fashion, fame, and music, and of course to do a completely outlandish photo shoot. Click through to see the pictures or see the whole shebang on V's Web site. But really, at this point, I've become desensitized to her zany fashion statements. Show me a picture of her in a T-shirt and jeans, and I will freak out.
From her Kermit the Frog outfit to her active refusal to wear pants to her massive bow made of hair, GaGa certainly succeeds at one-upping herself every time she steps out in public. Presumably, her pajamas are made out of ostrich feathers, confetti, and papier mache, sewn with hedgehog needles. I mean, right?
She explains, however, that none of this is outrageous, per se. "I don't consider my own clothing to be outrageous. It's very strange to me the way people say, 'Oh, Lady GaGa and another one of her wacky outfits!' Or, 'You always dress so crazy!' The truth is that people just don't have the same references that I do," explains GaGa. "To me it's very beautiful and it's art, and to them it's outrageous and crazy."
Yeah, you guys. You just don't have the same references. Sheesh. She's referencing the greats, like Dr. Seuss, Jim Henson, and the old Halloween costumes in the back of my closet.
Outside of those clear inspirations, she explains that one of her main references is the legendary fashion designer Thierry Mugler. She explains, "Danilo [her hair stylist], for example, knows who Thierry Mugler is. He's very familiar with his work ... So if Danilo sees a piece that I've designed that's Mugler-inspired, he says, 'Oh, that's amazing, I love it.' Whereas someone who doesn't know Mugler might say, 'Oh you look like a tranny robot.' They just don't understand the reference."
See, I always thought of her as a Mugler-inspired tranny robot, so I don't know what category that puts me in.
When the interviewer asks what she thinks about Beyoncé's affinity for Mugler right now, GaGa responds, "Right now. But I've been wearing Mugler for years. For me it's not a one-off for a tour or a one-off for this album cycle. This kind of clothing, the period, the lifestyle of fashion and art and pop art as life, this is who I've been for years. But Beyoncé looks amazing. I love what Mugler did for her tour. But do you see my point? It's not going to end after 'The Fame' is over."
Whoa there, Lady. That's treading the line of hating on Beyonce's fashion. Better watch yourself, GaGa, you're breaking the music diva code right there.
But there is something to her statement. Her fashion and art ARE her lifestyle. While Beyonce wears street clothes and goes to Grizzly Bear concerts with her hubby, everything Lady GaGa does is a part of her act. She is a walking, talking, offending piece of performance art. Whether she's just a glorified, oversexed version of a mime in Central Park is a different question.
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite