Lady Gaga opens up about bulimia hell during her teen years
- Photo: Splash News1 of 17
- Photo: Jun Sato/WireImage2 of 17
- Photo: Jacques Brinon/Invision/AP3 of 17
- Photo: Jacques Brinon/Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: @ladygaga/Twitter5 of 17
- Photo: Kirkland/Retna Digital6 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 17
- Photo: ZTB/ZOH/WENN8 of 17
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: Gotcha Images/Splash News10 of 17
- Photo: Maro Hagopian/Splash News11 of 17
- Photo: Clasos.com/Splash News12 of 17
- Photo: @ladygaga/Twitter13 of 17
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage14 of 17
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage15 of 17
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage16 of 17
More Celeb News
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Does Mel Gibson Deserve Another Chance?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Resumes Production This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Obama pitches his health care plan on Funny or DieMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:01:01 PM
- ABC's Ratings the Most Glaring Challenge for Anne Sweeney's SuccessorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 3:58:00 PM
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?
By email@example.com (WENN Newsdesk)
Lady Gaga has revealed she suffered from bulimia as a teenager because she was desperate to have the figure of a "skinny little ballerina."
RELATED: TwitPics: Grammy Noms Edition
The "Born This Way" hitmaker has become a big supporter of anti-bullying campaigns after being victimized for her looks during her youth, but she only recently revealed the extent of her personal troubles during a surprise appearance at a young women's conference in Los Angeles.
Gaga turned up at Brentwood School last weekend for a special interview with Arnold Schwarzenegger's estranged wife, Maria Shriver, for the It's Our Turn event, and the flamboyant star stunned the audience by revealing all about her attempts to slim down in high school.
RELATED: Stars With Expressive Style
She said, "I used to throw up all the time in high school. So I'm not that confident. I wanted to be a skinny little ballerina but I was a voluptuous little Italian girl whose dad had meatballs on the table every night.
"I used to come home and say, 'Dad, why do you always give us this food? I need to be thin.' And he'd say, 'Eat your spaghetti."
The then-aspiring singer eventually overcame her urge to force herself to vomit after eating, admitting, "It made my voice bad, so I had to stop. The acid on your vocal chords -- it's very bad."
But that doesn't mean Gaga is completely at ease with her body image now she's a pop idol: "Weight is still a struggle. Every video I'm in, every magazine cover, they stretch you -- they make you perfect. It's not real life."
And Gaga has urged young girls struggling with their self-confidence to reach out for help: "It's really hard, but ... you've got to talk to somebody about it."
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Nicole Richie, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite