Lauryn Hill Responds to Federal Tax Evasion Charges
- Photo: Spencer Weiner/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: RL2/ZOB/WENN2 of 13
- Photo: RH5/ZOB/WENN3 of 13
- Photo: ZOM/ZOB/WENN4 of 13
- Photo: HRC/WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Bernhard Kuhmstedt/Retna Ltd.6 of 13
- Photo: Lynn McAfee/Retna Ltd.7 of 13
- Photo: Wonderwall8 of 13
- Photo: JLC/ZOJ/WENN9 of 13
- Photo: Patrick Semansky/Invision/AP10 of 13
- Photo: Mats Anderson/Retna Ltd.11 of 13
- Photo: Michael Caufield/WireImage.com12 of 13
More Celeb News
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From SonyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Booboo Stewart Drama 'Sonata' Plucks Director Brendan Foley (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Look Out, Camp Counselors: A Friday the 13th Series Is in the WorksMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:26:00 PM
- 'Godzilla' Draws Fire in New IMAX Poster (Photo)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:09:00 PM
- What Is Survivor's Jeremiah "Kicking Himself" Over?MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 3:29:00 PM
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From Sony
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- Reclusive singer Lauryn Hill says she hasn't paid taxes since she withdrew from society to guarantee the safety and well-being of herself and her family.
The eight-time Grammy Award winner and South Orange, N.J., resident was charged this week with willfully failing to file income tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service. Federal prosecutors say she didn't pay taxes on more than $1.5 million earned in 2005, 2006 and 2007 from recording and film royalties.
RELATED: Celebs in financial trouble
Hill responded to the federal charges in a lengthy post on her Tumblr page Friday. She describes how she has rejected pop culture's over-commercialization and cannibalization of the young.
RELATED: Unsolicited financial advice
The 37-year-old Hill got her start with the Haitian-American hip-hop band the Fugees. She began her solo career in 1998 with the critically acclaimed album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Lena Dunham to Kristen Stewart, see the most awkward red carpet posers.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTRing Speculation
From Crowd Ignite