Lauryn Hill Responds to Federal Tax Evasion Charges
- Photo: Spencer Weiner/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: RL2/ZOB/WENN2 of 13
- Photo: RH5/ZOB/WENN3 of 13
- Photo: ZOM/ZOB/WENN4 of 13
- Photo: HRC/WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Bernhard Kuhmstedt/Retna Ltd.6 of 13
- Photo: Lynn McAfee/Retna Ltd.7 of 13
- Photo: Wonderwall8 of 13
- Photo: JLC/ZOJ/WENN9 of 13
- Photo: Patrick Semansky/Invision/AP10 of 13
- Photo: Mats Anderson/Retna Ltd.11 of 13
- Photo: Michael Caufield/WireImage.com12 of 13
More Celeb News
- High School Student Suspended For Having the Balls to Ask Miss America to PromMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus Postpones Bangerz Tour After Allergic Reaction to AntibioticsMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 3:13:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus Postpones Remaining U.S. Tour Dates After HospitalizationMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 2:52:00 PM
- White House Responds to Justin Bieber Deportation PetitionMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 2:41:00 PM
- White House Responds to 'Deport Justin Bieber' Petition: Is This the End for Our FMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 1:49:00 PM
- High School Student Suspended For Having the Balls to Ask Miss America to Prom
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- Reclusive singer Lauryn Hill says she hasn't paid taxes since she withdrew from society to guarantee the safety and well-being of herself and her family.
The eight-time Grammy Award winner and South Orange, N.J., resident was charged this week with willfully failing to file income tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service. Federal prosecutors say she didn't pay taxes on more than $1.5 million earned in 2005, 2006 and 2007 from recording and film royalties.
RELATED: Celebs in financial trouble
Hill responded to the federal charges in a lengthy post on her Tumblr page Friday. She describes how she has rejected pop culture's over-commercialization and cannibalization of the young.
RELATED: Unsolicited financial advice
The 37-year-old Hill got her start with the Haitian-American hip-hop band the Fugees. She began her solo career in 1998 with the critically acclaimed album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."
Kim Kardashian, Emma Stone, and Solange Knowles all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Lena Dunham, and Anne Hathaway all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian, Kristin Davis, and Emma Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite