Lauryn Hill Responds to Federal Tax Evasion Charges
- Photo: Spencer Weiner/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: RL2/ZOB/WENN2 of 13
- Photo: RH5/ZOB/WENN3 of 13
- Photo: ZOM/ZOB/WENN4 of 13
- Photo: HRC/WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Bernhard Kuhmstedt/Retna Ltd.6 of 13
- Photo: Lynn McAfee/Retna Ltd.7 of 13
- Photo: Wonderwall8 of 13
- Photo: JLC/ZOJ/WENN9 of 13
- Photo: Patrick Semansky/Invision/AP10 of 13
- Photo: Mats Anderson/Retna Ltd.11 of 13
- Photo: Michael Caufield/WireImage.com12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Showtime's 'Californication' Returns for 7th and Final Season in AprilMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 11:21:21 AM
- Broadcast Shows Nearly As Violent as Cable, Study FindsMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 10:53:47 AM
- 'Bonnie & Clyde' Mini Delivers 9.8 Million Viewers for A&E NetworkMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 10:33:14 AM
- CBS Orders Mark Burnett, Roma Downey Miniseries 'Dovekeepers'MSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 10:26:31 AM
- 'Suits' Returning to USA Network Thursdays as Lead-in for Denis Leary Comedy &MSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 10:15:54 AM
- Showtime's 'Californication' Returns for 7th and Final Season in April
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- Reclusive singer Lauryn Hill says she hasn't paid taxes since she withdrew from society to guarantee the safety and well-being of herself and her family.
The eight-time Grammy Award winner and South Orange, N.J., resident was charged this week with willfully failing to file income tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service. Federal prosecutors say she didn't pay taxes on more than $1.5 million earned in 2005, 2006 and 2007 from recording and film royalties.
RELATED: Celebs in financial trouble
Hill responded to the federal charges in a lengthy post on her Tumblr page Friday. She describes how she has rejected pop culture's over-commercialization and cannibalization of the young.
RELATED: Unsolicited financial advice
The 37-year-old Hill got her start with the Haitian-American hip-hop band the Fugees. She began her solo career in 1998 with the critically acclaimed album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
Khloe Kardashian, Jennifer Hudson, and Christina Hendricks all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAdele's PDA
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite