Lauryn Hill Responds to Federal Tax Evasion Charges
- Photo: Spencer Weiner/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: RL2/ZOB/WENN2 of 13
- Photo: RH5/ZOB/WENN3 of 13
- Photo: ZOM/ZOB/WENN4 of 13
- Photo: HRC/WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Bernhard Kuhmstedt/Retna Ltd.6 of 13
- Photo: Lynn McAfee/Retna Ltd.7 of 13
- Photo: Wonderwall8 of 13
- Photo: JLC/ZOJ/WENN9 of 13
- Photo: Patrick Semansky/Invision/AP10 of 13
- Photo: Mats Anderson/Retna Ltd.11 of 13
- Photo: Michael Caufield/WireImage.com12 of 13
More Celeb News
- R. Kelly Performs Song He Wrote for Nelson Mandela on 'Arsenio' (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 5:09:35 PM
- 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' Review: Peter Jackson's Second VersMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 5:03:45 PM
- Fox Sports 1 Scores Best Ratings Week Since August LaunchMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 4:44:04 PM
- New York Post Settles Racial and Sexual Discrimination LawsuitMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 4:30:51 PM
- 'American Hustle' Cast To Be Honored by Palm Springs FestMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 4:20:58 PM
- R. Kelly Performs Song He Wrote for Nelson Mandela on 'Arsenio' (Video)
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- Reclusive singer Lauryn Hill says she hasn't paid taxes since she withdrew from society to guarantee the safety and well-being of herself and her family.
The eight-time Grammy Award winner and South Orange, N.J., resident was charged this week with willfully failing to file income tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service. Federal prosecutors say she didn't pay taxes on more than $1.5 million earned in 2005, 2006 and 2007 from recording and film royalties.
RELATED: Celebs in financial trouble
Hill responded to the federal charges in a lengthy post on her Tumblr page Friday. She describes how she has rejected pop culture's over-commercialization and cannibalization of the young.
RELATED: Unsolicited financial advice
The 37-year-old Hill got her start with the Haitian-American hip-hop band the Fugees. She began her solo career in 1998 with the critically acclaimed album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Carrie Underwood tweets about her "Sound of Music" experience on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite