Lennon's killer denied parole for seventh time in New York
- Photo: AP1 of 9
- Photo: AP2 of 9
- Photo: GREG LYUAN/AP3 of 9
- Photo: Greg Lyuan/AP4 of 9
- Photo: AP5 of 9
- Photo: AP6 of 9
- Photo: GettyImages.com7 of 9
- Photo: AP8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Jennifer Aniston Stages Mini 'Friends' Reunion for 'Ellen'MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:59:12 PM
- 'X Factor' Season 3 First Look: New Judges Kelly Rowland, Paulina Rubio at CharlesMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:49:47 PM
- 'Real Housewives of O.C.'s' Tamra Barney Lands SpinoffMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:22:13 PM
- 'Bad Teacher' Series Gets Late Pickup From CBSMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:00:12 PM
- 'Epic' Review: Moments of Delight Pep Up a Crushingly Familiar StoryMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 12:50:51 PM
- Jennifer Aniston Stages Mini 'Friends' Reunion for 'Ellen'
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his seventh appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said.
Mark David Chapman, 57, was denied parole by a three-member board after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said Thursday. The transcript of his latest hearing wasn't immediately released.
Chapman shot Lennon, 40, in December 1980 outside the Manhattan apartment building where the former member of the Beatles lived. He was sentenced in 1981 to 20 years to life in prison after pleading guilty to second-degree murder.
Chapman was transferred in May from the Attica Correctional Facility in western New York to the nearby Wende Correctional Facility. Both are maximum security. The prison system doesn't disclose why inmates are transferred.
Chapman was denied parole for the sixth time in September 2010. He can try again in two years.
At his previous hearing, he recalled that he had considered shooting Johnny Carson or Elizabeth Taylor instead, and said again that he chose Lennon because the ex-Beatle was more accessible, that his century-old Upper West Side apartment building by Central Park "wasn't quite as cloistered." Chapman fired five shots outside the Dakota apartment house on Dec. 8, 1980, hitting Lennon four times in front of his wife, Yoko Ono, and others.
The former security guard from Hawaii said that his motivation was instant notoriety, but that he later realized he made a horrible decision for selfish reasons.
"I felt that by killing John Lennon I would become somebody, and instead of that I became a murderer and murderers are not somebodies," Chapman told the board two years ago.
Ono, 79, had said two years ago that she was trying to be "practical" in asking that her husband's killer remain behind bars. She said Chapman might be a danger to her, other family members and perhaps even himself.
In a 1992 interview at Attica, Chapman told Barbara Walters that it was dark when he shot Lennon in the back with a .38-caliber revolver after he exited a limousine, headed up the walkway to his apartment building and looked at Chapman. "I heard this voice — not an audible voice, an inaudible voice — saying over and over, `Do it, do it, do it,'" Chapman said. He explained, "I thought that by killing him I would acquire his fame."
He has been in protective custody with a good disciplinary record, according to corrections officials.
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite