Lorde's Parents Vic and Sonja get engaged at Niagara Falls after 30 years together
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage1 of 7
- Photo: Sean O'Neill/Pacific Coast News2 of 7
- Photo: Invision/AP3 of 7
- Photo: Rex USA4 of 7
- Photo: Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP5 of 7
- Photo: Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP6 of 7
More Celeb News
- 'Me + Her' Director Joseph Oxford on Life and Death in Cardboard Animation: TheWraMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 4:29:00 PM
- Bill O'Reilly Cuts Vacation Short to Cover Ferguson, Ratings RiseMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 4:01:00 PM
- Steven Strait, Shohreh Aghdashloo Cast in Syfy Space Opera 'The Expanse'MSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 3:37:00 PM
- Ferguson's Mike Brown Memorial Campaign Has Raised Less Than Officer Darren Wilson&aposMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 3:30:00 PM
- Consumer Groups Urge FCC to Reject Comcast/Time Warner Cable DealMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 2:50:00 PM
- 'Me + Her' Director Joseph Oxford on Life and Death in Cardboard Animation: TheWra
One year after she made a name for herself with the release of her hit song "Royals," Lorde has finally seen "a diamond in the flesh" -- and in a very special way.
The chart-topping singer took to Twitter on June 16, to share some exciting personal news, which involved a sparkling gemstone.
"BEST DAY," Lorde tweeted. "Went to Niagara Falls - my dad proposed to my mum after almost 30 years together."
The 17-year-old wunderkind went on to add a sequence of emojis to express her joy, including heart characters, a diamond ring, a rose, and love-filled smiley faces.
Lorde's father, Vic O'Connor, who is a civil engineer, proposed to her mother, poet Sonja Yelich, at the famed natural attraction.
After sharing the news of the proposal, Lorde acknowledged the irony of "Royals" beginning with the lyrics, "I've never seen a diamond in the flesh / I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies / And I'm not proud of my address / In a torn-up town, no postcode envy."
"Inevitable response yes I know I have seen a diamond now," she tweeted.
Lorde has spoken of her close relationship with her newly engaged parents in the past, telling Interview magazine about their guidance last year, "My parents are really onto it; they know what young people need. My mum takes my iPhone off me at night, because I need to do homework and sleep, otherwise I'd spend all night on Facebook and Instagram. My parents are pretty good; they understand what I really want. If I do decide to leave school at the end of this year, that's a bridge we'll cross."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Watch as Lynda Carter talks about the old vs. the new "Wonder Woman" costume.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite