Macklemore and Lewis join UN gay rights campaign
- Photo: Steven Dewall/Getty Images North America1 of 7
- Photo: Eve Traetto/WENN2 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage3 of 7
- Photo: AMN/ZOJ/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: John Davisson/Invision/Invision/AP5 of 7
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN6 of 7
More Celeb News
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 1:40:07 PM
- Zac Efron Shops Dildos in 'Neighbors,' Proving Once Again He's Far More TMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:43:00 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Storms Overseas Box Office With $88 MillionMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:41:00 AM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 2:47 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:40:29 AM
- Marvel expands Infinite with 'Ultimate Spider-Man'MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:33:56 AM
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — U.S. hip hop artists Macklemore and Ryan Lewis have joined the U.N. Free and Equal Campaign to encourage greater respect for the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky announced their support Tuesday.
Macklemore and Lewis are well-known for their song, "Same Love," which celebrates same-sex relationships, and quickly became an anthem for LGBT equality.
The U.N. Free & Equal Campaign seeks to raise awareness about homophobic and trans-gender-phobic violence and discrimination. It was launched by U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay in Cape Town, South Africa last July at an event featuring Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu.
Other celebrity supporters include pop star Ricky Martin, South African singer Yvonne Chaka Chaka, Bollywood actress Celina Jaitly, and Brazilian singer Daniela Mercury.
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite