Macklemore and Lewis join UN gay rights campaign
- Photo: Steven Dewall/Getty Images North America1 of 7
- Photo: Eve Traetto/WENN2 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage3 of 7
- Photo: AMN/ZOJ/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: John Davisson/Invision/Invision/AP5 of 7
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Sony Overhauls 'Smurfs' Franchise, Plans 'Popeye' MovieMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 10:20:00 AM
- Body of Proof's Nic Bishop Joins Covert AffairsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 10:18:00 AM
- CBS Renews The Big Bang Theory for Three More SeasonsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:58:00 AM
- Alan Thicke Reality Sitcom to Get 14-Episode Run on TV Guide NetworkMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:56:00 AM
- 'Masters of Sex' Casts Keke Palmer for Season 2MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:52:00 AM
- Sony Overhauls 'Smurfs' Franchise, Plans 'Popeye' Movie
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — U.S. hip hop artists Macklemore and Ryan Lewis have joined the U.N. Free and Equal Campaign to encourage greater respect for the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky announced their support Tuesday.
Macklemore and Lewis are well-known for their song, "Same Love," which celebrates same-sex relationships, and quickly became an anthem for LGBT equality.
The U.N. Free & Equal Campaign seeks to raise awareness about homophobic and trans-gender-phobic violence and discrimination. It was launched by U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay in Cape Town, South Africa last July at an event featuring Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu.
Other celebrity supporters include pop star Ricky Martin, South African singer Yvonne Chaka Chaka, Bollywood actress Celina Jaitly, and Brazilian singer Daniela Mercury.
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
From Channing Tatum to Jennifer Lawrence, see which celebs got their start modeling.Watch Video »
From the Atkins Diet to aerial fitness classes, see what stars like Kim Kardashian, Jessica Alba and Beyonce do to keep in shape.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite