Macklemore shows support to gay student expelled from university
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: Eve Traetto/WENN2 of 9
- Photo: Steven Dewall/Getty Images North America3 of 9
- Photo: John Davisson/Invision/Invision/AP4 of 9
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN5 of 9
- Photo: AMN/ZOJ/WENN6 of 9
- Photo: Eve Traetto/WENN7 of 9
- Photo: AMN/ZOJ/WENN8 of 9
More Celeb News
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:48:00 PM
- ABC's 'The Quest' Producers Reveal How They Found HeroesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:26:00 PM
- Sharknado 2 Sets Record With Nearly 4 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Javier Bardem clarifies comments in open letter about Middle East conflictMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Netflix Revives The Killing For One Last CaseMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:14:00 PM
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'
Rapper Macklemore has joined the army of support for a gay student who was recently kicked out of a Christian university after learning she proposed to her girlfriend at one of his gigs.
Danielle Powell was expelled from Grace University in Nebraska just months before her graduation after school officials discovered she is a lesbian and in a committed relationship with her then-girlfriend, Michelle Rogers. Powell was then sent a tuition bill for a semester she wasn't allowed to attend, prompting her to challenge the school board.
Her case quickly became a news story and now more than 64,000 supporters have signed an online petition opposing the college officials' actions.
RELATED: Best and worst beach bods
"Thrift Shop" hitmaker Macklemore has now joined her fans by offering up a tweet and a link to the story online. He writes, "I cannot believe this is happening in 2013."
Powell, who has been offered a full scholarship to Roosevelt University in Chicago, proposed to Rogers live on stage at a Macklemore & Ryan Lewis show last year.
Where Are They?
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
From Reese Witherspoon to Justin Timberlake, see some of the hottest stars from the south.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
See how Angelina Jolie's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTDebuts Baby Bump!
From Crowd Ignite