Madonna auctions painting for charity
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP1 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 12
- Photo: @madonna/Instagram3 of 12
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP4 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 12
- Photo: PX1/WENN6 of 12
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage7 of 12
- Photo: MU1/WENN8 of 12
- Photo: Tony Barson/WireImage9 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage10 of 12
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage11 of 12
More Celeb News
- 'Me + Her' Director Joseph Oxford on Life and Death in Cardboard Animation: TheWraMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 4:29:00 PM
- Bill O'Reilly Cuts Vacation Short to Cover Ferguson, Ratings RiseMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 4:01:00 PM
- Steven Strait, Shohreh Aghdashloo Cast in Syfy Space Opera 'The Expanse'MSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 3:37:00 PM
- Ferguson's Mike Brown Memorial Campaign Has Raised Less Than Officer Darren Wilson&aposMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 3:30:00 PM
- Consumer Groups Urge FCC to Reject Comcast/Time Warner Cable DealMSNEntertainment 8/21/2014 2:50:00 PM
- 'Me + Her' Director Joseph Oxford on Life and Death in Cardboard Animation: TheWra
Pop icon Madonna is selling off a painting from her personal art collection to help pull in millions for her children's charity.
RELATED: Stars without makeup
The 1921 cubist piece, "Trois Femmes a la Table Rouge" by French artist Fernand Leger, will go on the auction block at a Sotheby's International Realty Affiliates auction in New York on May 7.
The Material Girl's painting is worth up to $7 million, and Madonna has vowed to donate all the proceeds to her Ray of Light Foundation and its education projects in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
A statement from the singer reads, "I cannot accept a world where women or girls are wounded, shot or killed for either going to school or teaching in girls' schools. We don't have time to be complacent. I want to trade something valuable for something invaluable -- educating girls! Knowledge is power. Let's change the world!"
The 1921 painting, purchased by Madonna at a New York auction in 1990, will be displayed in Hong Kong and London before it returns to the Big Apple to be exhibited in Sotheby's galleries ahead of the sale.
RELATED: Madonna and other powerful moms
Tim Pocock and Tom Green of NBC's "Camp" sit down with Wonderwall's Chris Gardner for a Wonderview ...Watch Video »
Rihanna kicks off her birthday celebrations in a winter wonderland on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Fresh from their split, Hilary Duff vacations with husband Mike Comrie and their son on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
"Hit and Run" co-stars and fiances Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell talk about their Hollywood romance and more with Wonderwall's Rebecca Silverstein.Watch Video »
"Playing for Keeps" star Gerard Butler talks about going shirtless and more with Wonderwall editor Rebecca Silverstein.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBare Beauties
From Crowd Ignite