Madonna auctions painting for charity
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP1 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 12
- Photo: @madonna/Instagram3 of 12
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP4 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 12
- Photo: PX1/WENN6 of 12
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage7 of 12
- Photo: MU1/WENN8 of 12
- Photo: Tony Barson/WireImage9 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage10 of 12
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage11 of 12
More Celeb News
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and DevelopmentMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Bryan Singer Accuser Michael Egan Drops Sex Abuse LawsuitMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Pivot Network Now Available on College Streaming Service PhiloMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:31:00 PM
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale Attracts 2.3 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Chiller 'As Above, So Below' Tries to Put Scare Into 'Guardians'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 2:53:00 PM
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and Development
Pop icon Madonna is selling off a painting from her personal art collection to help pull in millions for her children's charity.
RELATED: Stars without makeup
The 1921 cubist piece, "Trois Femmes a la Table Rouge" by French artist Fernand Leger, will go on the auction block at a Sotheby's International Realty Affiliates auction in New York on May 7.
The Material Girl's painting is worth up to $7 million, and Madonna has vowed to donate all the proceeds to her Ray of Light Foundation and its education projects in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
A statement from the singer reads, "I cannot accept a world where women or girls are wounded, shot or killed for either going to school or teaching in girls' schools. We don't have time to be complacent. I want to trade something valuable for something invaluable -- educating girls! Knowledge is power. Let's change the world!"
The 1921 painting, purchased by Madonna at a New York auction in 1990, will be displayed in Hong Kong and London before it returns to the Big Apple to be exhibited in Sotheby's galleries ahead of the sale.
RELATED: Madonna and other powerful moms
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rihanna strips down to a bikini while vacationing near an active volcano off the coast of Italy on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPup Power
From Crowd Ignite