Madonna auctions painting for charity
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP1 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 12
- Photo: @madonna/Instagram3 of 12
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP4 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 12
- Photo: PX1/WENN6 of 12
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage7 of 12
- Photo: MU1/WENN8 of 12
- Photo: Tony Barson/WireImage9 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage10 of 12
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage11 of 12
More Celeb News
- 'Kelly & Cal' Review: New Mom Juliette Lewis Finds an Unlikely Suburban SoMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 9:00:00 PM
- Talent Agents Adam Kanter, Martin Spencer Exit Resolution (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 8:14:00 PM
- 'Bad Words' Review: Jason Bateman's Directorial Debut Exhilarates Until IMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 8:00:00 PM
- Newsweek Bitcoin Writer Fires Back at Tina Brown: 'I Have A Problem' With Her CommMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 6:50:00 PM
- The Best. Baseball Movie. Ever (Guest Blog)MSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 5:54:00 PM
- 'Kelly & Cal' Review: New Mom Juliette Lewis Finds an Unlikely Suburban So
Pop icon Madonna is selling off a painting from her personal art collection to help pull in millions for her children's charity.
RELATED: Stars without makeup
The 1921 cubist piece, "Trois Femmes a la Table Rouge" by French artist Fernand Leger, will go on the auction block at a Sotheby's International Realty Affiliates auction in New York on May 7.
The Material Girl's painting is worth up to $7 million, and Madonna has vowed to donate all the proceeds to her Ray of Light Foundation and its education projects in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
A statement from the singer reads, "I cannot accept a world where women or girls are wounded, shot or killed for either going to school or teaching in girls' schools. We don't have time to be complacent. I want to trade something valuable for something invaluable -- educating girls! Knowledge is power. Let's change the world!"
The 1921 painting, purchased by Madonna at a New York auction in 1990, will be displayed in Hong Kong and London before it returns to the Big Apple to be exhibited in Sotheby's galleries ahead of the sale.
RELATED: Madonna and other powerful moms
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
From Katy Perry and John Mayer to Paula Patton and Robin Thicke, get the scoop on all the breakups in Hollywood.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Julianne's hunky Canadian hockey beau on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on all the rumors surrounding Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite