Madonna: Boys Used to Call Me 'Hairy Monster'
- Photo: Erik Kabik/Retna Digital1 of 16
- Photo: Tom Munro/Harper's Bazaar2 of 16
- Photo: Tom Munro/Harper's Bazaar3 of 16
- Photo: Tom Munro/Harper's Bazaar4 of 16
- Photo: Tom Munro/Harper's Bazaar5 of 16
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN6 of 16
- Photo: James Whatling/Splash News7 of 16
- Photo: PETER MORGAN/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: MHAA/ZDS/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: DANIEL MUZIO/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: CHRIS PIZZELLO/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: PETER SMITH/StarTraks14 of 16
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Blasts Past The Rock's 'HerMSNEntertainment 7/26/2014 8:16:00 AM
- Sam Raimi Writing 'Evil Dead' TV Series That Will Include Bruce CampbellMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 10:36:00 PM
- BuzzFeed Fires Writer Over Multiple Instances of PlagiarismMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 9:31:00 PM
- Fox at Comic-Con: James Bond Is Whack, We're Making Movies With Balls (and Jokes)MSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 7:26:00 PM
- Sleepy Hollow Season 2: Is Ichabod a Gleek? MSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 7:21:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Blasts Past The Rock's 'Her
Madonna is speaking out about her own experience being bullied in school, her views on the "cult of celebrity" and being constantly reminded of her age.
The pop star graces the December cover of Harper's Bazaar's -- on newsstands November 29 -- and gives an interview in which she talks about her self-directed movie W.E. and other aspects of her life. The film, which hits theaters December 9, is the story of Wallis Simpson, an American divorcée for whom British monarch King Edward VIII famously abdicated the throne in 1936.
"The movie is all about the cult of celebrity," Madonna said. "We like to put people on a pedestal, give them one character trait, and if they step outside of that shrine-like area that we blocked out for them, then we will punish them. Wallis Simpson became famous by default, by capturing the heart of the king, but it's obviously a subject I'm
constantly on the inside of, and the outside of."
The music icon said her experience as a celebrity is not that different from the way she felt growing up.
"For some reason, I feel like I never left high school, because I still feel that if you don't fit in, you're going to get your ass kicked. That hasn't really changed for me. I've always been acutely aware of differences and the way you are supposed to act if you want to be popular."
Madonna said while in high school, she recognized that girls had to behave a certain way to get boys.
"I knew I couldn't fit into that. So I decided to do the opposite. I refused to wear makeup, to have a hairstyle. I refused to shave. I had hairy armpits." As a result, she said she felt "tortured" and boys would make fun of her and call her names. "'Hairy monster.' You know, things like that."
The 53-year-old singer said she doesn't understand why the media always has to focus on her age.
"I find whenever someone writes anything about me, my age is right after my name. It's almost like they're saying, 'Here she is, but remember she's this age, so she's not that relevant anymore.' Or 'Let's punish her by reminding her and everyone else.' When you put someone's age down, you're limiting them." She says her main focus is to just have fun and ignore what is said. "To continue to be a provocateur, to do what we perceive as the realm of young people, to provoke, to be rebellious, to start a revolution."
Madonna, who is currently in a relationship with young French dancer Brahim Zaibat, spoke about what is important to her in a man. "Someone to share my inner life with -- that's extremely important. It's also important that my children admire and respect this partner that I would choose for myself."
Related stories on ETonline.com:The Big Winners of the 2011 CMA Awards
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Sweeties
From Crowd Ignite