Matisyahu steps back from Hasidic Jewish lifestyle
- Photo: Twitter/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: @matisyahu/Twitter2 of 8
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN3 of 8
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN4 of 8
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN5 of 8
- Photo: @matisyahu/Twitter6 of 8
- Photo: Aaron D. Settipane/WENN7 of 8
More Celeb News
- William Guarnere, 'Band of Brothers' Character and WWII Vet, Dead at 90MSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 7:41:00 AM
- ESPN Combining Grantland, Nate Silver's FiveThirtyEight, ESPN Films Into One UnitMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 7:24:00 AM
- Rodriguez gives it to viewers straight with El ReyMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 7:02:28 AM
- Efron: I'll Accept MTV Movie Award Shirtless!MSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 6:37:00 AM
- Ruffalo and Bomer Kiss In 'The Normal Heart' TeaserMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 6:18:00 AM
- William Guarnere, 'Band of Brothers' Character and WWII Vet, Dead at 90
Jewish reggae star Matisyahu is moving away from his Hasidic lifestyle, shaving off his trademark beard in a bid to "reclaim" himself.
The "King Without a Crown" rapper, 32, has become known for his long locks, bushy facial hair and his rhymes about his faith, but, after spending years following a "higher level of religiosity" he's decided to start a new phase in his life.
He uploaded a picture showing off his new look on his Twitter page Tuesday and has explained the move in a more detailed post on his blog.
Matisyahu writes, "This morning I posted a photo of myself on Twitter. No more Chassidic reggae superstar.
RELATED: Crazy Summer Hair Trends
"Sorry folks, all you get is me…no alias. When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process. It was my choice. My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality - not through books but through real life.
"At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity… to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth. I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules - lots of them - or else I would somehow fall apart. I am reclaiming myself. Trusting my goodness and my divine mission.
"Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth. And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair."
RELATED: Trend Report: Famous Beardos
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite