Matisyahu steps back from Hasidic Jewish lifestyle
- Photo: Twitter/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: @matisyahu/Twitter2 of 8
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN3 of 8
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN4 of 8
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN5 of 8
- Photo: @matisyahu/Twitter6 of 8
- Photo: Aaron D. Settipane/WENN7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 10 Oscar Lessons From the First Blitz of Critics' AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:58:45 PM
- 'Hobbit' Sequel's High Frame Rate Theaters Nearly Doubled But Warner BroMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:36:29 PM
- Leighton Meester to Make Broadway Debut Opposite James Franco in 'Of Mice and Men'MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 9:00:07 PM
- How Hollywood Infiltrated Miami's Art Basel (Photos)MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 7:56:35 PM
- '20 Feet From Stardom' Stars to Sing National Anthem at Rose BowlMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 7:04:02 PM
- 10 Oscar Lessons From the First Blitz of Critics' Awards
Jewish reggae star Matisyahu is moving away from his Hasidic lifestyle, shaving off his trademark beard in a bid to "reclaim" himself.
The "King Without a Crown" rapper, 32, has become known for his long locks, bushy facial hair and his rhymes about his faith, but, after spending years following a "higher level of religiosity" he's decided to start a new phase in his life.
He uploaded a picture showing off his new look on his Twitter page Tuesday and has explained the move in a more detailed post on his blog.
Matisyahu writes, "This morning I posted a photo of myself on Twitter. No more Chassidic reggae superstar.
RELATED: Crazy Summer Hair Trends
"Sorry folks, all you get is me…no alias. When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process. It was my choice. My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality - not through books but through real life.
"At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity… to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth. I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules - lots of them - or else I would somehow fall apart. I am reclaiming myself. Trusting my goodness and my divine mission.
"Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth. And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair."
RELATED: Trend Report: Famous Beardos
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAdele's PDA
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite