Matisyahu steps back from Hasidic Jewish lifestyle
- Photo: Twitter/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: @matisyahu/Twitter2 of 8
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN3 of 8
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN4 of 8
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN5 of 8
- Photo: @matisyahu/Twitter6 of 8
- Photo: Aaron D. Settipane/WENN7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Wes Anderson 'Grand Budapest Hotel' Books Huge Limited Box-Office OpeningMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 9:03:00 AM
- Utah polygamous family says going on TV liberatingMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 8:43:52 AM
- Gettysburg wax museum selling historical figuresMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 8:19:01 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Bloodies Box Office With $45 MillionMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 8:01:00 AM
- Revolutionary opera director Gerard Mortier diesMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 5:54:34 AM
- Wes Anderson 'Grand Budapest Hotel' Books Huge Limited Box-Office Opening
Jewish reggae star Matisyahu is moving away from his Hasidic lifestyle, shaving off his trademark beard in a bid to "reclaim" himself.
The "King Without a Crown" rapper, 32, has become known for his long locks, bushy facial hair and his rhymes about his faith, but, after spending years following a "higher level of religiosity" he's decided to start a new phase in his life.
He uploaded a picture showing off his new look on his Twitter page Tuesday and has explained the move in a more detailed post on his blog.
Matisyahu writes, "This morning I posted a photo of myself on Twitter. No more Chassidic reggae superstar.
RELATED: Crazy Summer Hair Trends
"Sorry folks, all you get is me…no alias. When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process. It was my choice. My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality - not through books but through real life.
"At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity… to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth. I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules - lots of them - or else I would somehow fall apart. I am reclaiming myself. Trusting my goodness and my divine mission.
"Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth. And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair."
RELATED: Trend Report: Famous Beardos
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Hank Azaria talks about his new documentary series "Fatherhood," his family and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
A pregnant Soleil Moon Frye sits down with Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner to talk about prepping for a baby boy and her busy career ...Watch Video »
From Reese Witherspoon to Hugh Jackman, see some of the best celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Mariah Carey does her best impression of a mermaid on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite