Matisyahu steps back from Hasidic Jewish lifestyle
- Photo: Twitter/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: @matisyahu/Twitter2 of 8
- Photo: Jeff Daly/WENN3 of 8
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN4 of 8
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN5 of 8
- Photo: @matisyahu/Twitter6 of 8
- Photo: Aaron D. Settipane/WENN7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Cannes Review: Robert Redford's Actions Speak Much Louder Than Words in 'All Is LoMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 11:48:12 AM
- Billy Crystal Pilot 'The Comedians' Gets Order From FX MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 11:30:15 AM
- Phase 4 Films Seals Financing Deal With Aver Media Finance (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 10:55:00 AM
- 'Twilight,' 'Iron Man 3' Lead First Wave of Teen Choice Awards NMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 10:25:15 AM
- Cannes: Top French Filmmaker Olivier Assayas to Make First U.S. FilmMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 10:01:06 AM
- Cannes Review: Robert Redford's Actions Speak Much Louder Than Words in 'All Is Lo
Jewish reggae star Matisyahu is moving away from his Hasidic lifestyle, shaving off his trademark beard in a bid to "reclaim" himself.
The "King Without a Crown" rapper, 32, has become known for his long locks, bushy facial hair and his rhymes about his faith, but, after spending years following a "higher level of religiosity" he's decided to start a new phase in his life.
He uploaded a picture showing off his new look on his Twitter page Tuesday and has explained the move in a more detailed post on his blog.
Matisyahu writes, "This morning I posted a photo of myself on Twitter. No more Chassidic reggae superstar.
RELATED: Crazy Summer Hair Trends
"Sorry folks, all you get is me…no alias. When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process. It was my choice. My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality - not through books but through real life.
"At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity… to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth. I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules - lots of them - or else I would somehow fall apart. I am reclaiming myself. Trusting my goodness and my divine mission.
"Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth. And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair."
RELATED: Trend Report: Famous Beardos
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 22, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 21, 2013
- 7 of Rihanna's Worst Looks
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 17, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 16, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 15, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 14, 2013
- 7 Most Outrageous Gwyneth Paltrow Quotes
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 10, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 9, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 8, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 7, 2013
- 7 Best Bikini Bods
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 3, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 2, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 1, 2013
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite