Medical exam ordered for ailing singer Etta James
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com1 of 4
- Photo: Retna Digital2 of 4
- Photo: WireImage.com3 of 4
More Celeb News
- Khaled Hosseini's new book is another tear-jerkerMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 5:44:44 AM
- Kelly Rowland, Paulina Rubio Near 'X Factor' Judging DealsMSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 8:35:36 PM
- Cannes Diary: In The Downpour, the Coens Connect but Market Can't Get Traction MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 7:10:53 PM
- Cannes: Magnolia Acquires Kurt Russell Western 'Bone Tomahawk'MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 3:03:43 PM
- Bill Hader on 'SNL': Wacky, Tacky Wedding Farewell (Video) MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:55:41 PM
- Khaled Hosseini's new book is another tear-jerker
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) -- A Southern California judge has ordered an independent medical evaluation of ailing Etta James after her son's attorney contended that the "At Last" blues singer could be in "very serious danger" under the care of a live-in doctor.
The 72-year-old James suffers from dementia, leukemia, kidney problems and other ailments. Her son's attorney, James E. Deering Jr., said at a Thursday court hearing that Dr. Elaine James, who is not related to the singer, put feeding tubes into James' stomach at home — a procedure that should have been performed in a hospital, the Riverside Press-Enterprise reported.
Deering compared the singer's situation to that of Michael Jackson, who died while under the care of a live-in physician. Dr. Conrad Murray has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter.
A report by a confidential investigator that was released to attorneys Thursday raises "significant questions" about whether Etta James is receiving proper medical treatment at her home in the Woodcrest area of Riverside County. Superior Court Judge Thomas Cahraman ordered a court-appointed attorney representing the singer's interests to arrange for independent physicians to examine the singer and review her medical charts.
Elaine James told The Associated Press by phone Friday that she welcomed the independent examination and said the judge made a wise decision.
RELATED: Hairdos and Don'ts: Brunette Edition
"He can have 10 examiners, he can have 20 physicians to come in that house to perform the duties I do," she said. "I have a list of 23 medical sub-specialties that I have had to treat her for. She is not an easy patient."
The 49-year-old surgeon said she was brought in by James's husband a year ago and that she also cooks, buys groceries and trains nurses who help care for the singer.
She declined to detail the care she has provided, but said it was crucial.
"I have saved her several times," Elaine James said. "Eventually she will die with something, but it will not be with my help."
The doctor wouldn't reveal her fee, but said reports she has received $20,000 a month for the care weren't true.
Last month, Cahraman ordered $60,000 taken from the singer's bank account to pay for her medical care. On Thursday, he ordered the singer's accounts frozen after another $30,000 is released to pay for her care.
The order came during a court battle between the singer's son, who has power of attorney for his mother, and her husband, who contends that his wife wasn't mentally sound when she granted that power in 2008. A decision could give either one control of more than $1 million in assets.
Another hearing in the case was scheduled for April 4.
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersMiranda Kerr, Katy Perry, and Bjork all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Wants PrivacySelena Gomez doesn't like everyone knowing about her relationship with Justin Bieber, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Baby FaceCheck out the first pic of Malin Akerman's son -- a closeup of his adorable face -- on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite