Melissa Etheridge clarifies Jolie surgery comments
- Photo: Rene Macura/Invision/AP1 of 12
- Photo: WENN2 of 12
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP3 of 12
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 12
- Photo: JM11/WENN5 of 12
- Photo: Walter McBride/Retna Ltd.6 of 12
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage7 of 12
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images North America8 of 12
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage9 of 12
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP10 of 12
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Stephen Colbert Slams Rick Santorum's Mandela Comparison: 'Yes, Obamacare Is AmeriMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 7:22:37 AM
- Stephen Colbert Explains 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Role to Letterman (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 7:13:01 AM
- Will Google and Microsoft Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is? (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 5:18:52 PM
- Daytime Talkshow 'The Real' to Air in More Than 70 Percent of the CountryMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 5:00:47 PM
- Channing Tatum Saves Mila Kunis in 'Jupiter Ascending' Trailer From 'MatrMSNEntertainment 12/9/2013 4:40:28 PM
- Stephen Colbert Slams Rick Santorum's Mandela Comparison: 'Yes, Obamacare Is Ameri
Singer Melissa Etheridge has clarified her controversial comments about Angelina Jolie's double mastectomy, insisting she did not mean to criticize the actress for undergoing the preventative surgery.
Jolie made the decision after discovering she carries the "faulty" BRCA1 gene, which doctors estimated gave her an 87 percent chance of developing breast cancer, but the "Come to My Window" star, a breast cancer survivor herself, hit headlines this week when she cautioned women in similar situations against blindly following the Hollywood actress' lead.
RELATED: Voting: Brad Pitt's looks
She told the Washington Blade newspaper, "I have to say I feel a little differently (than Jolie). I have that gene mutation too and it's (a double mastectomy) not something I would believe in for myself. I wouldn't call it the brave choice. I actually think it's the most fearful choice you can make when confronting anything with cancer."
RELATED: Stars With Twin Kids
The musician's remarks took Jolie's fiance Brad Pitt by surprise when he learned of her comments on Monday, during the New York premiere of his new film "World War Z," but he insisted Etheridge was "an old friend of mine" and expressed interest in discussing the matter with her in private, telling UsMagazine.com, "I'm sure we'll talk on the phone."
However, Etheridge, 52, has since released a statement, claiming her words were misconstrued.
The statement reads: "I don't have any opinion on what she 'should have' done. All are free to choose, I only objected to the term 'brave' describing it."
Victoria’s Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel talks to WW about wearing the $10 million bra, eating steak, Taylor Swift and if she plans to marry her boyfriend.Watch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
Bye, Bye 'RHOC'
Former "Housewife" Lydia McLaughlin dishes about leaving the "RHOC," her stance on plastic surgery and more!Watch Video »
Check out the many times Taylor Swift has pulled out her surprise face at award shows.Watch Video »
Heidi Klum, Selena Gomez, LeAnn Rimes and Kyle Richards show off their holiday spirit on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Elsa Pataky to Ginnifer Goodwin, see some of Hollywood's new baby bumps on Wonderwall Replay.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHoliday Spirit
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite