Melissa Etheridge disagrees with Angelina Jolie's mastectomy decision
- Photo: Rex USA1 of 17
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP2 of 17
- Photo: BB1/HSS/WENN3 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: APL/WENN5 of 17
- Photo: Remy de la Mauviniere/Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN7 of 17
- Photo: Daniel Zuchnik/Getty Images North America8 of 17
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet9 of 17
- Photo: Will Alexander/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: LA(Phot) Iggy Roberts/Invision/AP11 of 17
- Photo: Victoria Will/Invision/AP12 of 17
- Photo: Rene Macura/Invision/AP13 of 17
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: JM11/WENN15 of 17
- Photo: MEBB/Bauer-Griffin16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Top Chef Winner Ilan Hall Gets Down and Dirty on Knife FightMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 4:15:00 AM
- New Season Reviews: NCIS: New Orleans, Person of InterestMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 4:01:00 AM
- Netflix Embraces Spoilers And Those Who Love to Spoil With New WebsiteMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 1:11:00 AM
- 'Dallas' Finale Leaves Key Character's Fate in Limbo But It's PMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 1:04:00 AM
- NFL's Abuse Scandal Kind of Screws Over League's New Chief Marketing Officer And MSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 10:12:00 PM
- Top Chef Winner Ilan Hall Gets Down and Dirty on Knife Fight
Singer Melissa Etheridge, herself a breast cancer survivor, says that she feels "a little differently" about Angelina Jolie's overwhelmingly positively received news that she decided to undergo a preventive double mastectomy.
"I have that gene mutation too, and it's not something I would believe in for myself. I wouldn't call it the brave choice," Etheridge candidly tells the Washington Blade. "I actually think it's the most fearful choice you can make when confronting anything with cancer."
She goes on to state her belief that cancer "comes from inside you," the "environment of your body" and that "it's the stress" that determines whether the gene will turn into cancer or not.
"Plenty of people have the gene mutation and everything but it never comes to cancer, so I would say to anybody faced with that -- that choice is way down the line on the spectrum of what you can do, and to really consider the advancements we've made in things like nutrition and stress levels," she says about the decision to undergo a mastectomy. "I've been cancer free for nine years now and looking back, I completely understand why I got cancer. There was so much acidity in everything. I really encourage people to go a lot longer and further before coming to that conclusion."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
See how Kate Hudson embraces Instagram on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Britney's new bachelorette status on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Lady
From Crowd Ignite