Melissa Etheridge disagrees with Angelina Jolie's mastectomy decision
- Photo: Rex USA1 of 17
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP2 of 17
- Photo: BB1/HSS/WENN3 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: APL/WENN5 of 17
- Photo: Remy de la Mauviniere/Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN7 of 17
- Photo: Daniel Zuchnik/Getty Images North America8 of 17
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet9 of 17
- Photo: Will Alexander/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: LA(Phot) Iggy Roberts/Invision/AP11 of 17
- Photo: Victoria Will/Invision/AP12 of 17
- Photo: Rene Macura/Invision/AP13 of 17
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: JM11/WENN15 of 17
- Photo: MEBB/Bauer-Griffin16 of 17
More Celeb News
- HBO's Beyonce-Jay Z 'On the Run Tour' Documentary Slayed Fans: The Best TMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 8:56:00 PM
- TLC's 'Little People, Big World' Star Jeremy Roloff's Wedding FiMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 6:17:00 PM
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years LateMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- 8 Crazy Things to Expect on Sleepy Hollow Season 2MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Emmy Winner and Singer Polly Bergen Dies at 84MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- HBO's Beyonce-Jay Z 'On the Run Tour' Documentary Slayed Fans: The Best T
Singer Melissa Etheridge, herself a breast cancer survivor, says that she feels "a little differently" about Angelina Jolie's overwhelmingly positively received news that she decided to undergo a preventive double mastectomy.
"I have that gene mutation too, and it's not something I would believe in for myself. I wouldn't call it the brave choice," Etheridge candidly tells the Washington Blade. "I actually think it's the most fearful choice you can make when confronting anything with cancer."
She goes on to state her belief that cancer "comes from inside you," the "environment of your body" and that "it's the stress" that determines whether the gene will turn into cancer or not.
"Plenty of people have the gene mutation and everything but it never comes to cancer, so I would say to anybody faced with that -- that choice is way down the line on the spectrum of what you can do, and to really consider the advancements we've made in things like nutrition and stress levels," she says about the decision to undergo a mastectomy. "I've been cancer free for nine years now and looking back, I completely understand why I got cancer. There was so much acidity in everything. I really encourage people to go a lot longer and further before coming to that conclusion."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite