Melissa Etheridge hasn't spoken to Brad Pitt since Angelina Jolie romance began
- Photo: Rex USA1 of 11
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Dimitri Halkidis/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 11
- Photo: Rene Macura/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: Invision/AP6 of 11
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP7 of 11
- Photo: ZH1/ZJE/WENN8 of 11
- Photo: Victoria Will/Invision/AP9 of 11
- Photo: APL/WENN10 of 11
More Celeb News
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'SupernatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:38:41 PM
- Paul Walker Death: 'Fast & Furious' Franchise Posts Tribute on YouTube (ViMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:35:39 PM
- If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:28:09 PM
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to direct 'Jungle Book' movie for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:26:12 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: Movie Moments of the Year '12 Years a Slave,' &apoMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:19:43 PM
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'Supernat
To each their own. Melissa Etheridge sparked a feud when she referred to Angelina Jolie's preventative mastectomy as "the most fearful choice" a woman could make. The "Come to My Window" singer tells Us Weekly that her words were blown "out of proportion," and that she had only intended to shed her own thoughts on the issue as a fellow breast cancer survivor. In fact, she hasn't even spoken to Jolie's fiance, her old pal Brad Pitt, since his days with his ex-wife, Jennifer Aniston.
"I in no way meant for that statement to reach [Brad Pitt] in that way," Etheridge told Us at the 2013 Recording Academy Honors on Tuesday. "It was not meant for him or his wife." "Wife" appears to be a misnomer: Together since 2005 (shortly after Pitt's split from Aniston) Pitt, 49, and Jolie, 38, confirmed their engagement in spring 2012 but have yet to actually wed. "Everyone's personal health is their own personal choice," the singer added.
The Grammy winner, who sang at Pitt's 2000 wedding to Aniston, confessed that she and Pitt fell out of contact a long time ago. "I haven't, um, spoken to him . . . since he 'married' Angelina," she said, chuckling. "But we were very close before that. I don't know . . . I have reached out.
She added that she and Aniston have also lost touch. "I haven't heard from her either. We all kinda got our own families and went our own way," she admitted. "It's funny -- we all were together and then it all went POOF."
In May, Jolie opened up about her decision to get a double mastectomy after discovering that she carried a "faulty" breast cancer gene, BRCA1, which gave her an "87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer." The "Maleficent" star made the tough decision to undergo the procedure, which supporters applauded as empowering and courageous.
Several weeks later, Etheridge opened up to the Washington Blade about her own views on the subject, saying that she felt "a little differently."
"I have that gene mutation too, and it's not something I would believe in for myself," she told the paper. "I wouldn't call it the brave choice. I actually think it's the most fearful choice you can make when confronting anything with cancer."
Pitt didn't seem too thrilled about the singer's comments, telling Us that he was "sure we'll talk on the phone" about the matter.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
From Miranda and Orlando to the Jenners, see some of Hollywood's most amicable exes on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See which celebs had the best and worst beach bodies of 2012.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPrivacy Request
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite