Melissa Etheridge hasn't spoken to Brad Pitt since Angelina Jolie romance began
- Photo: Rex USA1 of 11
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Dimitri Halkidis/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 11
- Photo: Rene Macura/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: Invision/AP6 of 11
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP7 of 11
- Photo: ZH1/ZJE/WENN8 of 11
- Photo: Victoria Will/Invision/AP9 of 11
- Photo: APL/WENN10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Senator Al Franken to Netflix CEO: What's Your Take on the Comcast-Time Warner Deal?MSNEntertainment 4/16/2014 5:05:00 PM
- 'Of Mice and Men' Theater Review: James Franco, Chris O'Dowd Bring VibranMSNEntertainment 4/16/2014 4:30:00 PM
- Top Hollywood Publicist Leslie Sloane Exits BWR After 17 Years (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/16/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Megan Ellison's Annapurna Pictures Developing First TV Project With 'True Blood,&aMSNEntertainment 4/16/2014 3:53:00 PM
- Los Angeles Register Launches With Upbeat News MixMSNEntertainment 4/16/2014 3:50:00 PM
- Senator Al Franken to Netflix CEO: What's Your Take on the Comcast-Time Warner Deal?
To each their own. Melissa Etheridge sparked a feud when she referred to Angelina Jolie's preventative mastectomy as "the most fearful choice" a woman could make. The "Come to My Window" singer tells Us Weekly that her words were blown "out of proportion," and that she had only intended to shed her own thoughts on the issue as a fellow breast cancer survivor. In fact, she hasn't even spoken to Jolie's fiance, her old pal Brad Pitt, since his days with his ex-wife, Jennifer Aniston.
"I in no way meant for that statement to reach [Brad Pitt] in that way," Etheridge told Us at the 2013 Recording Academy Honors on Tuesday. "It was not meant for him or his wife." "Wife" appears to be a misnomer: Together since 2005 (shortly after Pitt's split from Aniston) Pitt, 49, and Jolie, 38, confirmed their engagement in spring 2012 but have yet to actually wed. "Everyone's personal health is their own personal choice," the singer added.
The Grammy winner, who sang at Pitt's 2000 wedding to Aniston, confessed that she and Pitt fell out of contact a long time ago. "I haven't, um, spoken to him . . . since he 'married' Angelina," she said, chuckling. "But we were very close before that. I don't know . . . I have reached out.
She added that she and Aniston have also lost touch. "I haven't heard from her either. We all kinda got our own families and went our own way," she admitted. "It's funny -- we all were together and then it all went POOF."
In May, Jolie opened up about her decision to get a double mastectomy after discovering that she carried a "faulty" breast cancer gene, BRCA1, which gave her an "87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer." The "Maleficent" star made the tough decision to undergo the procedure, which supporters applauded as empowering and courageous.
Several weeks later, Etheridge opened up to the Washington Blade about her own views on the subject, saying that she felt "a little differently."
"I have that gene mutation too, and it's not something I would believe in for myself," she told the paper. "I wouldn't call it the brave choice. I actually think it's the most fearful choice you can make when confronting anything with cancer."
Pitt didn't seem too thrilled about the singer's comments, telling Us that he was "sure we'll talk on the phone" about the matter.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Justin Bieber makes a surprise appearance at Coachella where Selena Gomez happens to be hanging out with the Jenner sisters on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Cindy Crawford and Vanessa Hudgens show their siblings some love on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite