Mindy McCready was working on suicide awareness video before death
- Photo: JE1/WENN1 of 12
- Photo: Randi Radcliff/Retna Ltd.2 of 12
- Photo: AR4/WENN3 of 12
- Photo: Anonymous/Invision/AP4 of 12
- Photo: AR4/WENN5 of 12
- Photo: Randi Radcliff/Retna Ltd.6 of 12
- Photo: Frederick Breedon IV/WireImage7 of 12
- Photo: Mark Humphrey/Invision/AP8 of 12
- Photo: AR4/WENN9 of 12
- Photo: JOHN RUSSELL/Invision/AP10 of 12
- Photo: Splash News11 of 12
More Celeb News
- 'La Cage aux Folles' Director Edouard Molinaro Dead at 85MSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 4:49:15 PM
- Vin Diesel Shares His Emotional Moment With Paul Walker's FamilyMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 3:18:16 PM
- Bob Dylan's Infamous Electric Guitar Fetches Nearly $1 Million at AuctionMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 2:57:27 PM
- La Scala's 'La Traviata' opener gets mixed reviewsMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 2:13:57 PM
- European Film Awards: 'The Great Beauty' Wins European Film 2013MSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 1:38:57 PM
- 'La Cage aux Folles' Director Edouard Molinaro Dead at 85
Did Mindy McCready leave behind a suicide note? Before the country singer died of an apparent suicide at her home in Heber Springs, Ark., on Sunday, Feb. 17, she had been working on a video project with Danno Hanks, a private investigator.
Hanks tells E! News that McCready, 37, asked him to work on a cover of "I'll See You Yesterday," which was written by Courtney Dashe, a fan of McCready's who wanted her to sing the song.
"She said she wanted to put together this video to help people deal when someone had suffered a suicide in their life and God, she was literally having me write her suicide note," he said. "If I had known, I would have made sure someone was there with her all the time."
McCready's boyfriend, David Wilson, died at the age of 34 on Jan. 13. The cause of his death is still under investigation, but was initially reported to be caused from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The day before McCready was found dead, she sent Hanks a frame for the video with a suicide hotline number. "I thought she was talking about sending a message about suicide for David's death but this is unbelievable. She was sending me a message," he told E! News. "I wish I had been more alert to what it was."
McCready is survived by her 9-month-old son Zayne, whom she welcomed with Wilson, and Zander, 6, from a previous relationship with country singer Billy McKnight.
"I just didn't think she would do this," Hanks said. "She had two kids to live for. I still can't fathom the whole thing."
In the wake of her passing, McCready's celebrity friends have been sharing the condolences. Roger Clemens, who the New York Daily News reported in 2008 had a decade-long affair with McCready, issued a statement Monday.
"Yes, this is sad news," the former MLB player said (via USA Today). "I had heard over time that she was trying to get peace and direction in her life. The few times that I had met her and her manager/agent they were extremely nice."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Carrie Underwood tweets about her "Sound of Music" experience on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite