Mindy McCready was working on suicide awareness video before death
- Photo: JE1/WENN1 of 12
- Photo: Randi Radcliff/Retna Ltd.2 of 12
- Photo: AR4/WENN3 of 12
- Photo: Anonymous/Invision/AP4 of 12
- Photo: AR4/WENN5 of 12
- Photo: Randi Radcliff/Retna Ltd.6 of 12
- Photo: Frederick Breedon IV/WireImage7 of 12
- Photo: Mark Humphrey/Invision/AP8 of 12
- Photo: AR4/WENN9 of 12
- Photo: JOHN RUSSELL/Invision/AP10 of 12
- Photo: Splash News11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Box Office: Lucy Tops HerculesMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 3:13:00 PM
- 'Godzilla' Storms Japan but 'Dawn of the Planet of Apes' Rules WMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:47:00 PM
- 'Following' Producers, Stars Reveal Alternate Season 2 Ending, Preview 'RMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:46:00 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 3:17 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:17:05 PM
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the fantasyMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:16:57 PM
- Box Office: Lucy Tops Hercules
Did Mindy McCready leave behind a suicide note? Before the country singer died of an apparent suicide at her home in Heber Springs, Ark., on Sunday, Feb. 17, she had been working on a video project with Danno Hanks, a private investigator.
Hanks tells E! News that McCready, 37, asked him to work on a cover of "I'll See You Yesterday," which was written by Courtney Dashe, a fan of McCready's who wanted her to sing the song.
"She said she wanted to put together this video to help people deal when someone had suffered a suicide in their life and God, she was literally having me write her suicide note," he said. "If I had known, I would have made sure someone was there with her all the time."
McCready's boyfriend, David Wilson, died at the age of 34 on Jan. 13. The cause of his death is still under investigation, but was initially reported to be caused from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The day before McCready was found dead, she sent Hanks a frame for the video with a suicide hotline number. "I thought she was talking about sending a message about suicide for David's death but this is unbelievable. She was sending me a message," he told E! News. "I wish I had been more alert to what it was."
McCready is survived by her 9-month-old son Zayne, whom she welcomed with Wilson, and Zander, 6, from a previous relationship with country singer Billy McKnight.
"I just didn't think she would do this," Hanks said. "She had two kids to live for. I still can't fathom the whole thing."
In the wake of her passing, McCready's celebrity friends have been sharing the condolences. Roger Clemens, who the New York Daily News reported in 2008 had a decade-long affair with McCready, issued a statement Monday.
"Yes, this is sad news," the former MLB player said (via USA Today). "I had heard over time that she was trying to get peace and direction in her life. The few times that I had met her and her manager/agent they were extremely nice."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Sweeties
From Crowd Ignite