Nicki Minaj worries 'American Idol' will make her 'too famous'
- Photo: JE1/WENN1 of 11
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 11
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: Sakura/WENN5 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 11
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP7 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 11
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/StarTraks9 of 11
- Photo: Michael Becker/Invision/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- 'Decoding Annie Parker' Starring Helen Hunt, Samantha Morton Picked Up By eOne FilMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 6:57:26 PM
- 'Anchorman' Ron Burgundy ESPN Gig Canceled Due to Jameis Winston CoverageMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 6:47:39 PM
- Song Smashup Showdown: Which 2013 Year-End Pop Music Collaboration Is Best?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 6:39:52 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: 'Epic' Director Chris Wedge Calls Animated Filmmaking a MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 6:32:13 PM
- 'The Fifth Beatle' Movie Adds Peyton Reed as DirectorMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 6:15:51 PM
- 'Decoding Annie Parker' Starring Helen Hunt, Samantha Morton Picked Up By eOne Fil
Nicki Minaj may be the most famous female in hip-hop, but she's about to attract an entirely new audience when "American Idol" launches its 12th season premiere Jan. 16 on FOX.
Before she officially joined the talent competition, however, the 30-year-old rapper had a number of reservations. "I had a lot of talks with people -- my family, my best friends, my label, Lil Wayne, management and then the producers," Minaj tells The Hollywood Reporter in its Jan. 11 issue.
Noting that there is often "a judgmental culture in hip-hop," Minaj explains, "Sometimes you are afraid of being too famous because it's almost, like, is that even cool? Being that accessible, someone you see on TV every week? I never pictured myself as that type of person. I'm still surprised that I decided to do it."
"He was so lovable and made me feel so comfortable and confident," Minaj recalls. "He kept saying, 'I promise we're going to protect you; you're going to love it, we're a big family.'"
Minaj flat-out refuses to discuss her much-publicized spat with Carey during the fall auditions. The "Obsessed" singer, meanwhile, offers a diplomatic explanation. "Sometimes things get heated for their own reasons," Carey tells The Hollywood Reporter. "I don't think the panel has an issue."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From slicked back hair to drop-crotch pants, check out some of the biggest fashion blunders of the year.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCause of Death
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite