Nicki Minaj worries 'American Idol' will make her 'too famous'Related: Nicki Minaj
- Photo: JE1/WENN1 of 11
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 11
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: Sakura/WENN5 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 11
- Photo: Matt Sayles/AP7 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 11
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/StarTraks9 of 11
- Photo: Michael Becker/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Steven Soderbergh Clarifies 'Retirement' Plans: He's Just Moving to TVMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 7:45:49 AM
- Jon Stewart Says Founding Fathers Cooler With 'Prisoner Mistreatment' Than &apMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 7:36:26 AM
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 7:00:14 AM
- Tavis Smiley marks 10th year on PBSMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 6:30:42 AM
- News Corp. Board Approves Split, Newspaper Division Valued Much Lower than StudiosMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 6:26:57 AM
- Steven Soderbergh Clarifies 'Retirement' Plans: He's Just Moving to TV
Nicki Minaj may be the most famous female in hip-hop, but she's about to attract an entirely new audience when "American Idol" launches its 12th season premiere Jan. 16 on FOX.
Before she officially joined the talent competition, however, the 30-year-old rapper had a number of reservations. "I had a lot of talks with people -- my family, my best friends, my label, Lil Wayne, management and then the producers," Minaj tells The Hollywood Reporter in its Jan. 11 issue.
Noting that there is often "a judgmental culture in hip-hop," Minaj explains, "Sometimes you are afraid of being too famous because it's almost, like, is that even cool? Being that accessible, someone you see on TV every week? I never pictured myself as that type of person. I'm still surprised that I decided to do it."
"He was so lovable and made me feel so comfortable and confident," Minaj recalls. "He kept saying, 'I promise we're going to protect you; you're going to love it, we're a big family.'"
Minaj flat-out refuses to discuss her much-publicized spat with Carey during the fall auditions. The "Obsessed" singer, meanwhile, offers a diplomatic explanation. "Sometimes things get heated for their own reasons," Carey tells The Hollywood Reporter. "I don't think the panel has an issue."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite