Nicki Minaj worries 'American Idol' will make her 'too famous'
- Photo: JE1/WENN1 of 11
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 11
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: Sakura/WENN5 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 11
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP7 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 11
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/StarTraks9 of 11
- Photo: Michael Becker/Invision/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- ABC's 'Nashville' Plans 2 Live Performances During Season 3 PremiereMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:40:00 PM
- 'Big Bang Theory' Contract Talks: 5 Past Negotiations to Set Your Mind at EaseMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Christina Aguilera Dresses Up Like Demi Moore for Naked, Pregnant Magazine Cover (Photos)MSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:20:00 PM
- Selena Gomez Breaks Her Own Rotten Tomatoes Record With a Zero for 'Behaving Badly&aposMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:09:00 PM
- Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo Developing Drama for ABC FamilyMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 3:11:00 PM
- ABC's 'Nashville' Plans 2 Live Performances During Season 3 Premiere
Nicki Minaj may be the most famous female in hip-hop, but she's about to attract an entirely new audience when "American Idol" launches its 12th season premiere Jan. 16 on FOX.
Before she officially joined the talent competition, however, the 30-year-old rapper had a number of reservations. "I had a lot of talks with people -- my family, my best friends, my label, Lil Wayne, management and then the producers," Minaj tells The Hollywood Reporter in its Jan. 11 issue.
Noting that there is often "a judgmental culture in hip-hop," Minaj explains, "Sometimes you are afraid of being too famous because it's almost, like, is that even cool? Being that accessible, someone you see on TV every week? I never pictured myself as that type of person. I'm still surprised that I decided to do it."
"He was so lovable and made me feel so comfortable and confident," Minaj recalls. "He kept saying, 'I promise we're going to protect you; you're going to love it, we're a big family.'"
Minaj flat-out refuses to discuss her much-publicized spat with Carey during the fall auditions. The "Obsessed" singer, meanwhile, offers a diplomatic explanation. "Sometimes things get heated for their own reasons," Carey tells The Hollywood Reporter. "I don't think the panel has an issue."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Bloom vs. Bieber
Get the scoop on Orlando Bloom and Justin Bieber's on-going feud on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Heidi Klum, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Miranda Kerr all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen swims with horses on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT'Sin'-fully Sexy
From Crowd Ignite