Nicki Minaj worries 'American Idol' will make her 'too famous'
- Photo: JE1/WENN1 of 11
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 11
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: Sakura/WENN5 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 11
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP7 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 11
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/StarTraks9 of 11
- Photo: Michael Becker/Invision/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From SonyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Booboo Stewart Drama 'Sonata' Plucks Director Brendan Foley (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Look Out, Camp Counselors: A Friday the 13th Series Is in the WorksMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:26:00 PM
- 'Godzilla' Draws Fire in New IMAX Poster (Photo)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:09:00 PM
- What Is Survivor's Jeremiah "Kicking Himself" Over?MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 3:29:00 PM
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From Sony
Nicki Minaj may be the most famous female in hip-hop, but she's about to attract an entirely new audience when "American Idol" launches its 12th season premiere Jan. 16 on FOX.
Before she officially joined the talent competition, however, the 30-year-old rapper had a number of reservations. "I had a lot of talks with people -- my family, my best friends, my label, Lil Wayne, management and then the producers," Minaj tells The Hollywood Reporter in its Jan. 11 issue.
Noting that there is often "a judgmental culture in hip-hop," Minaj explains, "Sometimes you are afraid of being too famous because it's almost, like, is that even cool? Being that accessible, someone you see on TV every week? I never pictured myself as that type of person. I'm still surprised that I decided to do it."
"He was so lovable and made me feel so comfortable and confident," Minaj recalls. "He kept saying, 'I promise we're going to protect you; you're going to love it, we're a big family.'"
Minaj flat-out refuses to discuss her much-publicized spat with Carey during the fall auditions. The "Obsessed" singer, meanwhile, offers a diplomatic explanation. "Sometimes things get heated for their own reasons," Carey tells The Hollywood Reporter. "I don't think the panel has an issue."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCat's in the Bag
From Crowd Ignite