Nicki Minaj worries 'American Idol' will make her 'too famous'
- Photo: JE1/WENN1 of 11
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/PacificCoastNews.com2 of 11
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: Sakura/WENN5 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 11
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP7 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 11
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/StarTraks9 of 11
- Photo: Michael Becker/Invision/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Fox News Launching Noon Panel Show 'Outnumbered'MSNEntertainment 4/16/2014 1:50:00 PM
- Ratings: Fargo Gets Off to OK Start; S.H.I.E.L.D. UpMSNEntertainment 4/16/2014 1:44:00 PM
- Google Earnings Up From Last Q1, But Falls Shy of ForecastsMSNEntertainment 4/16/2014 1:39:00 PM
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' End Credits to Feature 'X-Men: Days of Future PastMSNEntertainment 4/16/2014 12:52:00 PM
- American Idol's Malaya Watson Explains Why She Almost Didn't AuditionMSNEntertainment 4/16/2014 12:25:00 PM
- Fox News Launching Noon Panel Show 'Outnumbered'
Nicki Minaj may be the most famous female in hip-hop, but she's about to attract an entirely new audience when "American Idol" launches its 12th season premiere Jan. 16 on FOX.
Before she officially joined the talent competition, however, the 30-year-old rapper had a number of reservations. "I had a lot of talks with people -- my family, my best friends, my label, Lil Wayne, management and then the producers," Minaj tells The Hollywood Reporter in its Jan. 11 issue.
Noting that there is often "a judgmental culture in hip-hop," Minaj explains, "Sometimes you are afraid of being too famous because it's almost, like, is that even cool? Being that accessible, someone you see on TV every week? I never pictured myself as that type of person. I'm still surprised that I decided to do it."
"He was so lovable and made me feel so comfortable and confident," Minaj recalls. "He kept saying, 'I promise we're going to protect you; you're going to love it, we're a big family.'"
Minaj flat-out refuses to discuss her much-publicized spat with Carey during the fall auditions. The "Obsessed" singer, meanwhile, offers a diplomatic explanation. "Sometimes things get heated for their own reasons," Carey tells The Hollywood Reporter. "I don't think the panel has an issue."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Justin Bieber makes a surprise appearance at Coachella where Selena Gomez happens to be hanging out with the Jenner sisters on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Cindy Crawford and Vanessa Hudgens show their siblings some love on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
MTV Red Carpet
Get a front-row seat to the 2014 MTV Movie Awards with Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite