Nicole Scherzinger Opens Up About Bulimia Battle: 'It's Embarrassing'
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com1 of 17
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN2 of 17
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN3 of 17
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage4 of 17
- Photo: JPVegas/Fame Flynet5 of 17
- Photo: FlynetUK/Fame Flynet6 of 17
- Photo: WENN7 of 17
- Photo: Barcroft Media/StarTraks8 of 17
- Photo: @iamwill/Twitter9 of 17
- Photo: © Al Powers/Retna Ltd.10 of 17
- Photo: BJJ/Fame Flynet11 of 17
- Photo: Marco Piovanotto/StarTraks12 of 17
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin13 of 17
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: WENN15 of 17
- Photo: Jeff Bottari/Invision/AP16 of 17
More Celeb News
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and DevelopmentMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Bryan Singer Accuser Michael Egan Drops Sex Abuse LawsuitMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Pivot Network Now Available on College Streaming Service PhiloMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:31:00 PM
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale Attracts 2.3 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Chiller 'As Above, So Below' Tries to Put Scare Into 'Guardians'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 2:53:00 PM
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and Development
Nicole Scherzinger was suffering in silence during her seven years as the Pussycat Dolls' lead singer.
In her VH1 "Behind the Music" special (airing Oct. 7), the 34-year-old singer opens up for the first time about her struggle with bulimia.
"It's embarrassing. I never spoke about it. Like I said, I never want to play a victim, and I never wanted my family to hear about things from me because I think it would break their heart, you know," Scherzinger says. "I guess it was like my addiction, right? I never did drugs, but kinda doing things to myself was my addiction. It's like when I got off stage, I was on this high, and I'd come back to my room and I'd be alone, so I would just do things. My bulimia was my addiction; hurting myself was my addiction."
Scherzinger -- who released her debut solo album, "Killer Love," in 2011 -- says she "did it everyday for, like, years. Every time I had a second to be alone, I was doing something to myself. You get, like, blisters on your hands or scars on your hands, and I'd try to hide those. I think the girls could tell."
The Hawaiian-born, Kentucky-raised musician joined the Pussycat Dolls in 2003 following the success of the burlesque troupe of the same name.
During her revealing chat, Scherzinger also estimates she "probably did 95 percent" of the singing "on my own" for the girl group's 2005 debut album, "PCD." "I hope I don't get in trouble for the stuff that I say," Scherzinger says, "but I'll never forget I finished the album, PCD, and [executive producer Ron Fair] and I brought the girls into the studio and we played it for them. It was the first time they'd ever heard the music."
Despite the hardships she sometimes faced, Scherzinger -- who first found fame as a member of the made-for-TV band Eden's Crush -- says ex-bandmates Melody Thornton, 28, Ashley Roberts, 31, Kimberly Wyatt, 30, Jessica Sutta, 30, and Carmit Bachar, 38, are "like my sisters."
Scherzinger's Behind the Music airs Sunday, Oct. 7, at 9 p.m. EST on VH1.
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Nicole Scherzinger Opens Up About Bulimia Battle: "It's Embarrassing"
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Golden Globe Style
Cojo predicts the trends for the 2010 Golden Globes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPup Power
From Crowd Ignite