No charges against Chris Brown in Fla. phone grab
- Photo: KH1/WENN1 of 13
- Photo: Zavar/NPG2 of 13
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet3 of 13
- Photo: @chrisbrown/Twitter4 of 13
- Photo: Prestige/Promotional5 of 13
- Photo: Kabik/Retna Digital6 of 13
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP7 of 13
- Photo: Kabik/Retna Digital8 of 13
- Photo: Bob Chamberlin/Invision/AP9 of 13
- Photo: SBCH/GSI10 of 13
- Photo: Thumbs42/Fame Flynet11 of 13
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Jon Stewart's 'Rosewater' Lands Prime Awards Season Release DateMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:27:00 AM
- Casting Director Marion Dougherty to Receive Posthumous EmmyMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:13:00 AM
- Spike Jonze to Guest Star on HBO's 'Girls'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:03:00 AM
- Hearst Grabs Principato-Young's Corey Moss to Make Web SeriesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:00:00 AM
- 'Gone Girl' Beauty Emily Ratajkowski Joins Zac Efron in 'We Are Your FrieMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 10:57:00 AM
- Jon Stewart's 'Rosewater' Lands Prime Awards Season Release Date
By Curt Anderson, The Associated Press
MIAMI (AP) -- Grammy-winning singer Chris Brown will not face criminal charges for snatching a woman's cellphone when she tried to snap a photo of him outside a Miami Beach club, prosecutors said Friday.
A memo released Friday by Miami-Dade County State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle concludes there is no evidence that Brown intended to steal the phone in February or that he deleted any photos. One or the other is necessary for him to be charged with robbery or theft.
Prosecutors said that Brown tossed the phone from his limo and that it was picked up by Devon Blanche, head of security for rapper Tyga, who had performed with Brown at the Cameo club that night. According to the memo, Blanche tried to find out if someone had lost the phone, ultimately took it with him to Atlanta during the rapper's tour and said he intended to find its owner.
A felony charge against Brown, 24, might have triggered a violation of his probation for his 2009 assault on singer Rihanna, who was his girlfriend at the time. The two have recently collaborated on a new duet, "Nobody's Business," and have been spotted out together in recent weeks.
Rundle said the investigation's findings would be forwarded to probation officials in Los Angeles for review.
"We are grateful for the decision and the thorough investigation," Brown's attorney Mark Geragos said in an email.
According to the memo, after Brown and Tyga - real name Michael Stevenson - finished their performances, both got into separate limos to head for their hotels. Witnesses told prosecutors about 30 female fans gathered outside Brown's vehicle, at least one of whom reached inside to take a photo. Brown was accompanied by at least two women in the limo.
Stevenson told prosecutors that he saw Brown throw a white cellphone out of the limo. The phone's owner, Christal Spann, said Brown used a derogatory term for women and said "this will not run the website" when he grabbed the phone. Spann began beating on the limo's windows, according to the memo, until someone in a front seat told her the phone had been tossed out. She could not find it, however.
"She used to be a fan of Brown's, but no longer," the memo notes of Spann.
Blanche, the security man, told investigators he thought Brown was upset because "if photographs of himself with two females got out, it might cause him problems with Rihanna."
Get out the vote
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHello Hotness!
From Crowd Ignite