Paul McCartney cheats death in helicopter scare
- Photo: Jonathan Short/Invision/AP1 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 17
- Photo: ABFR/GSI3 of 17
- Photo: Heathcliff O'Malley/Rex / Rex US/Rex USA4 of 17
- Photo: RACHID/Bauer-Griffin5 of 17
- Photo: ZHB/ZJE/WENN6 of 17
- Photo: Anonymous/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP8 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP9 of 17
- Photo: PF1/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 17
- Photo: DOUGLAS PIZAC/Invision/AP12 of 17
- Photo: JOE SCHABER/Invision/AP13 of 17
- Photo: Retna Ltd.14 of 17
- Photo: Retna Ltd.15 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP16 of 17
More Celeb News
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 1:40:07 PM
- Zac Efron Shops Dildos in 'Neighbors,' Proving Once Again He's Far More TMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:43:00 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Storms Overseas Box Office With $88 MillionMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:41:00 AM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 2:47 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:40:29 AM
- Marvel expands Infinite with 'Ultimate Spider-Man'MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:33:56 AM
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
Aviation officials in the U.K. have launched an investigation after Paul McCartney came within seconds of disaster when the helicopter he was traveling in plunged towards the ground in a terrifying mid-air scare.
The Beatles legend was traveling back to his home in East Sussex, England from an event in London with his wife Nancy Shevell on May 3 when the helicopter pilot reportedly became disorientated in the bad weather.
RELATED: Paul MCCartney life in pictures
The aircraft, which was attempting to touch down on McCartney's private helipad, plummeted towards trees, but the potentially fatal crash was avoided when the pilot pulled up at the last minute and diverted to a nearby airport.
The incident is now the subject of an investigation by the government's Department of Transport after the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) classified it as a "serious incident". A spokesman for Air Harrods, the company which runs the helicopter service, tells Britain's Mail on Sunday newspaper, "Harrods Aviation can confirm that an incident took place on May 3 involving an Air Harrods helicopter. We are working in full cooperation with the AAIB which are currently investigating the incident." A representative for McCartney says, "Paul has been spoken to. It has been put to him, everything. It's a no comment."
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite