Pete Wentz talks fatherhood, pill addiction, paranoia
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Rex USA1 of 10
- Photo: RAF/ZOJ/WENN2 of 10
- Photo: WENN3 of 10
- Photo: @petewentz/Twitter4 of 10
- Photo: JACSON/Fame Flynet5 of 10
- Photo: Coqueran/Fame Flynet6 of 10
- Photo: Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com7 of 10
- Photo: RD/Kirkland/Retna Digital8 of 10
- Photo: VT/Splash News/Splash News9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years LateMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- 8 Crazy Things to Expect on Sleepy Hollow Season 2MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Emmy Winner and Singer Polly Bergen Dies at 84MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Kim Kardashian Among the Latest Targeted in Nude Photo LeakMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- U2 guitarist gets boost in bid for Malibu mansionsMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 2:26:14 PM
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years Late
Pete Wentz didn't just save rock 'n' roll -- he saved himself. In the May 23 issue of Rolling Stone, the 33-year-old bassist speaks candidly about how his life took a dark turn after Fall Out Boy went on hiatus in 2009. Making matters worse, Wentz's problems intensified when his marriage to Ashlee Simpson ended in 2011.
The rocker began abusing prescription pills Xanax and Klonopin, which are primarily used to treat anxiety. "I was probably physically and mentally addicted," Wentz reveals. "It started from insomnia and anxiety from flying, then it spiraled."
He continues, "I felt like a loser already. I'd basically gone from being the guy in Fall Out Boy to being the guy, who, like, hangs out all day. I didn't see how I'd ever come out on the other side."
Wentz began relying on the drugs more heavily after his split with Simpson, 28; he also became increasingly paranoid. "I was scared of everything. I thought there were always people listening to me," he says. "Like, I had my house searched for bugs. It was crazy."
The "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)" musician is in a much better place these days, thanks to regular therapy sessions and his 4-year-old son, Bronx. "You're up in the morning, and you have to really be there," he tells Rolling Stone of fatherhood. "It's not like getting up for a radio interview. In some ways, that was super helpful for my soul." Wentz has another reason to smile: He's still going strong with 24-year-old model Meagan Camper, his girlfriend since the fall of 2011.
Wentz and his bandmates kick off their Save Rock and Roll tour May 14 at The Rave in Milwaukee, Wis.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian cuddles a koala, plus more stars share their photos from adventures abroad on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite