Photographer wants big damages in Bieber lawsuit
- Photo: Nathan Denette/AP1 of 17
- Photo: justinbieber/Instagram2 of 17
- Photo: Twitter3 of 17
- Photo: .4 of 17
- Photo: AP5 of 17
- Photo: .6 of 17
- Photo: Miami Beach Police Department/AP7 of 17
- Photo: Miami Beach Police Department/AP8 of 17
- Photo: Miami Beach Police Department/AP9 of 17
- Photo: Joel Ryan/AP10 of 17
- Photo: Instagram11 of 17
- Photo: Mandatory Byline: Diane Cohen/Fame Flynet12 of 17
- Photo: Getty Images North America13 of 17
- Photo: Amy Pinard Photography/.14 of 17
- Photo: Amy Pinard Photography/.15 of 17
- Photo: justinbieber/Instagram16 of 17
More Celeb News
- FX Boss John Landgraf Clarifies 'True Detective' Remark Calm Down People, He&MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Auschwitz Selfie' Outrage: But You're Supposed to Take PicturesMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 3:41:00 PM
- Marvel Announces Another 2018 ReleaseMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 3:08:00 PM
- Tommy Lee Jones Joins Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman in 'Criminal'MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 2:45:00 PM
- 'Gotham' Creator on Why Batman Would Spell the End of the ShowMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 2:24:00 PM
- FX Boss John Landgraf Clarifies 'True Detective' Remark Calm Down People, He&
MIAMI (AP) -- A celebrity photographer sought to boost the potential damages he could win from Justin Bieber in a lawsuit that accuses the singer and a bodyguard of battery in a confrontation outside a recording studio.
The photographer's attorney, Mark DiCowden, said at a Tuesday hearing that he has documented at least 11 similar alleged assaults against photographers over two years involving Bieber and his security personnel. DiCowden said a punitive damage award for Jeffrey Binion could deter future assaults against celebrity photographers, known as "paparazzi."
"It's not a financial fishing expedition," DiCowden said in asking Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Sarah Zabel to allow him to pursue unspecified punitive damages. "It is well known around the world that Justin Bieber does not like to be photographed in public."
Zabel did not immediately rule. Bieber attorney Jared Lopez said there is no evidence that Binion was physically harmed in the alleged attack in June -- meaning compensatory damages for the photographer might be minimal and no proof that Bieber himself told bodyguard Hugo Hesny to go after Binion.
"I don't tell security how to do their job," Bieber said in a March deposition in the case, according to Lopez.
Outside the courtroom, Bieber attorney Roy Black called the lawsuit "frivolous" and intended mainly to generate publicity. DiCowden denied that.
Hesny is facing a misdemeanor battery charge in the Binion case, and he was also recently charged in another photographer confrontation in Atlanta. Bieber is not facing criminal charges in either case. Other incidents involving Bieber bodyguards have occurred in Los Angeles, Hawaii, Argentina and England, according to court papers.
DiCowden also wants Zabel to order Bieber to return to Miami for another deposition to answer questions about his on-again, off-again girlfriend, singer and actress Selena Gomez. DiCowden claims he was improperly prevented from asking those questions during the March deposition and that they are important to the Florida case because she may have been present during previous photographer attacks.
Zabel is holding a hearing in June on that request.
Separately, Bieber has pleaded not guilty to DUI, resisting arrest and driving with an expired license after a Jan. 23 arrest in Miami Beach. A May 5 trial date is set in that case.
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHeating Up!
From Crowd Ignite