Probe into Beyonce baby complaints at NY hospital
- Photo: JosiahW/Splash News1 of 10
- Photo: VPC/WENN2 of 10
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/StarTraks4 of 10
- Photo: L. Cohen/WireImage.com5 of 10
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage.com6 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com7 of 10
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com8 of 10
- Photo: KRIEGER/Bauer-Griffin9 of 10
More Celeb News
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:48:00 PM
- ABC's 'The Quest' Producers Reveal How They Found HeroesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:26:00 PM
- Sharknado 2 Sets Record With Nearly 4 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Javier Bardem clarifies comments in open letter about Middle East conflictMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Netflix Revives The Killing For One Last CaseMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:14:00 PM
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'
NEW YORK (AP) -- State health officials are investigating complaints patients in a hospital neonatal unit were mistreated while Beyonce was there giving birth to her and Jay-Z's daughter.
They had received two complaints about Manhattan's Lenox Hill Hospital, health department spokesman Michael Moran said Wednesday. One was made anonymously, and the other was from someone who had learned about the matter through the media, he said. Officials would be looking into whether any regulations were violated, he said.
RELATED: Children of Music Royalty
The hospital said it would fully cooperate with the inquiry, and it announced Wednesday it was conducting its own probe into the complaints about the treatment of neonatal unit patients.
RELATED: 2012's Celebrity Baby Brigade
Beyonce gave birth to the couple's baby, Blue Ivy Carter, at the hospital on Saturday.
Media reports said Beyonce and Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, paid $1 million to take over a floor and their security guard blocked parents from the neonatal unit for hours. The hospital denied the reports, saying the couple paid the standard rate for an executive suite without disclosing what that is.
One new mother, Rozz Nash-Coulon, told The Associated Press that her twins, born Dec. 28, were in the neonatal unit and, starting Friday, intense security measures made it a struggle to see them as guards directed hallway traffic.
"Once they checked in there was high security everywhere," she said Monday. "It looked like the president was on our floor. The hospital's security cameras were taped over. Internal windows from the hallways into the ward were blacked out."
The hospital's executive director was heading up its own inquiry into the complaints, hospital spokeswoman Barbara Osborn said. The hospital was interviewing parents who had children in the newborn wing when Jay-Z and Beyonce were there, she said.
"We have spoken to seven out of the 10," she said. "None have reported being stopped from seeing their babies."
She confirmed that security cameras were briefly taped over when the Carter family was being moved, "but only when a security guard was present" on the fourth floor, where the neonatal unit is located. She declined to say why they were taped over.
She said that other parents at the unit did notice "enhanced security." But she said none felt restricted from accessing the unit or any other at the hospital.
Jay-Z confirmed the birth of the couple's daughter in a song released on his social website Life and Times on Monday.
Lenox Hill Hospital is a popular choice for the rich and famous - from late philanthropist Brooke Astor to "30 Rock" star Tina Fey.
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
From Reese Witherspoon to Justin Timberlake, see some of the hottest stars from the south.Watch Video »
See how Angelina Jolie's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSmooch Central
From Crowd Ignite