Randy Travis files lawsuit against girlfriend's estranged husband
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage1 of 6
- Photo: HRC/WENN2 of 6
- Photo: MARK HUMPHREY/Invision/AP3 of 6
- Photo: Denton County Jail/.4 of 6
- Photo: Invision/AP5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Fox Renews 'New Girl,' 'Mindy Project,' 'Brooklyn Nine-MSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 4:00:00 PM
- 'One Tree Hill's' Robert Buckley Joins CW Pilot 'iZombie&apoMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Paramount to Honor Oracle Co-Founder Larry Ellison at Gala Benefiting Cancer Research at USCMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 3:52:00 PM
- Exclusive: The Blacklist Casts Tom's "Brother" MSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 3:42:00 PM
- Black Sails: Is Billy Dead?MSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 3:28:00 PM
- Fox Renews 'New Girl,' 'Mindy Project,' 'Brooklyn Nine-
Country music star Randy Travis has filed a lawsuit against his girlfriend's brother and estranged husband.
VIDEO: Famous celebrity pets
The troubled singer got into an altercation with Ritchie Beougher and his girlfriend Mary's sibling, William Barnes Davis, back in Aug. 23, 2012 after allegedly trying to defend her and her daughter, Cavanaugh, during a family dispute that erupted outside a church in Plano, Texas.
RELATED: Randy Travis charged in DWI case
Travis was charged with misdemeanor simple assault, but he pleaded not guilty in December and filed a lawsuit against the pair in Collin County last week, claiming he was injured and humiliated during the brawl.
RELATED: Trouble with the law 2012
The singer is seeking unspecified damages, and his attorney, Larry Friedman, tells the Dallas Morning News, "This lawsuit was filed as a statement against bullies here and everywhere... Randy Travis stood up to the bullies in an effort to protect the two girls and was assaulted and victimized by the Defendants as a result of his heroic effort to save Mary and Cavanaugh from an unwarranted assault by Mary's estranged husband and his employee and cohort, who happens to be her brother. This is the legal vehicle that was chosen to right these wrongs."
Meanwhile, on Friday, the Grammy winner reached a plea deal with prosecutors in the case and agreed to serve 90 days of deferred adjudication in exchange for agreeing to meet a set of unspecified requirements during the three-month period.
This is the latest in a string of legal problems for the star - he still faces charges of driving while intoxicated relating to an incident in the state.
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Katy Perry and John Mayer to Paula Patton and Robin Thicke, get the scoop on all the breakups in Hollywood.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Julianne's hunky Canadian hockey beau on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite