Randy Travis files lawsuit against girlfriend's estranged husband
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage1 of 6
- Photo: HRC/WENN2 of 6
- Photo: MARK HUMPHREY/Invision/AP3 of 6
- Photo: Denton County Jail/.4 of 6
- Photo: Invision/AP5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Judd Apatow's Romantic Comedy 'Love' Lands Two Season Commitment on NetflMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 8:03:00 AM
- Rihanna to CBS: "F--- You" for Pulling My Song From Thursday Night FootballMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 7:55:00 AM
- 'Firefly' Alum Sean Maher to Star in Indie Sci-Fi Thriller 'ISRA-88&aMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 7:30:00 AM
- Fox News' 'Outnumbered' Celebrates 100 Episodes, Ratings Jump: We&apoMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 7:00:00 AM
- 'Red Band Society' Stars Octavia Spencer, Dave Annable Tout Fox Show as Best ScripMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 7:00:00 AM
- Judd Apatow's Romantic Comedy 'Love' Lands Two Season Commitment on Netfl
Country music star Randy Travis has filed a lawsuit against his girlfriend's brother and estranged husband.
VIDEO: Famous celebrity pets
The troubled singer got into an altercation with Ritchie Beougher and his girlfriend Mary's sibling, William Barnes Davis, back in Aug. 23, 2012 after allegedly trying to defend her and her daughter, Cavanaugh, during a family dispute that erupted outside a church in Plano, Texas.
RELATED: Randy Travis charged in DWI case
Travis was charged with misdemeanor simple assault, but he pleaded not guilty in December and filed a lawsuit against the pair in Collin County last week, claiming he was injured and humiliated during the brawl.
RELATED: Trouble with the law 2012
The singer is seeking unspecified damages, and his attorney, Larry Friedman, tells the Dallas Morning News, "This lawsuit was filed as a statement against bullies here and everywhere... Randy Travis stood up to the bullies in an effort to protect the two girls and was assaulted and victimized by the Defendants as a result of his heroic effort to save Mary and Cavanaugh from an unwarranted assault by Mary's estranged husband and his employee and cohort, who happens to be her brother. This is the legal vehicle that was chosen to right these wrongs."
Meanwhile, on Friday, the Grammy winner reached a plea deal with prosecutors in the case and agreed to serve 90 days of deferred adjudication in exchange for agreeing to meet a set of unspecified requirements during the three-month period.
This is the latest in a string of legal problems for the star - he still faces charges of driving while intoxicated relating to an incident in the state.
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian cuddles a koala, plus more stars share their photos from adventures abroad on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See what the cast of "Saved by the Bell" is up to today.Watch Video »
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHighs and Lows
From Crowd Ignite