Randy Travis files lawsuit against girlfriend's estranged husband
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage1 of 6
- Photo: HRC/WENN2 of 6
- Photo: MARK HUMPHREY/Invision/AP3 of 6
- Photo: Denton County Jail/.4 of 6
- Photo: Invision/AP5 of 6
More Celeb News
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From SonyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Booboo Stewart Drama 'Sonata' Plucks Director Brendan Foley (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Look Out, Camp Counselors: A Friday the 13th Series Is in the WorksMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:26:00 PM
- 'Godzilla' Draws Fire in New IMAX Poster (Photo)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:09:00 PM
- What Is Survivor's Jeremiah "Kicking Himself" Over?MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 3:29:00 PM
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From Sony
Country music star Randy Travis has filed a lawsuit against his girlfriend's brother and estranged husband.
VIDEO: Famous celebrity pets
The troubled singer got into an altercation with Ritchie Beougher and his girlfriend Mary's sibling, William Barnes Davis, back in Aug. 23, 2012 after allegedly trying to defend her and her daughter, Cavanaugh, during a family dispute that erupted outside a church in Plano, Texas.
RELATED: Randy Travis charged in DWI case
Travis was charged with misdemeanor simple assault, but he pleaded not guilty in December and filed a lawsuit against the pair in Collin County last week, claiming he was injured and humiliated during the brawl.
RELATED: Trouble with the law 2012
The singer is seeking unspecified damages, and his attorney, Larry Friedman, tells the Dallas Morning News, "This lawsuit was filed as a statement against bullies here and everywhere... Randy Travis stood up to the bullies in an effort to protect the two girls and was assaulted and victimized by the Defendants as a result of his heroic effort to save Mary and Cavanaugh from an unwarranted assault by Mary's estranged husband and his employee and cohort, who happens to be her brother. This is the legal vehicle that was chosen to right these wrongs."
Meanwhile, on Friday, the Grammy winner reached a plea deal with prosecutors in the case and agreed to serve 90 days of deferred adjudication in exchange for agreeing to meet a set of unspecified requirements during the three-month period.
This is the latest in a string of legal problems for the star - he still faces charges of driving while intoxicated relating to an incident in the state.
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCat's in the Bag
From Crowd Ignite